[OPIRG-EVENTS] Vigil for Nonviolence, Saturday, Oct 6, Ottawa

                               Please distribute this message!

Join us this Saturday, October 6, for a Vigil for Nonviolence

	for a <SILENT PROCESSION> to

	(397 Kent St., at Florence St.)
	for a <VIGIL FOR NONVIOLENCE> with
	Speakers, Music, Discussion groups & workshops.

This email contains:
<1> Program: VIGIL for NONVIOLENCE
<2> List of 131 NGO Endorsements for COAT's October 6 event
<3> Why we will walk in silence this Saturday, October 6.
<4> Final planning meeting tonight
<5> Posters for Oct. 6, available online

<1> Program: VIGIL for NONVIOLENCE
(at First United Church) October 6, 2 p.m.

MUSIC:
* Kathryn Briggs
* Terry Tufts

WELCOME (co-chairs):
* Jean-Claude Parrot, Exec. Vice President, Canadian Labour Congress
* Marion Dewar, former Mayor of Ottawa, former President NDP - Canada

REMEMBRANCE:
* David Morgan, President, Veterans Against Nuclear Arms - Canada

SPEAKERS:
* Jen Anthony, co-chair, Canadian Federation of Students
* Carolyn Langdon, co-chair, Canadian Voice of Women for Peace
* Archbishop Lazar Puhalo, Cdn. Orthodox Archdiocese, Ukrainian Orthodox
Church
* Moraima Rivera, Puerto Rican activist opposing NATO test bombing on Vieques
* Richard Sanders, Coordinator, Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade
* Dr. Gamal Solaiman, Imam, Ottawa Mosque
* Laurel Smith, Homes Not Bombs
* Radmila Swann, President, Serbian Heritage Society - Ottawa
* Michel Chossudovsky, author, The Globalization of Poverty
* Mel Watkins, President, Science for Peace - Canada
* Susanne Wall, Fellowship of Reconciliation - USA
* Theresa Wolfwood, Brd. Member, Vancouver Island Public Interest Research
Group

MUSIC:
* Ian Tamblyn

SPEAKER PHONE (i.e., a phone hooked up to our sound system)
* Arun Gandhi, founder/director, MK Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence
(grandson of MK Gandhi)
* Dr. Helen Caldicott, of the NFB film, “If You Love this Planet.”

CLOSING WORDS:
* Marion Dewar
* Jean-Claude Parrot

DISCUSSION GROUPS/WORKSHOPS:
(1)	Discussion: Organizing opposition to the war (Richard Sanders, COAT)
(2)	Discussion: America at War (Prof. Chossudovsky, Economics, Univ. of
Ottawa)
(3)	Workshop: Nonviolence in Action: Resisting Canada’s Space Weapons
Research
	(Matthew Behrens, Homes Not Bombs)
(4)	Video and Discussion: Solidarity with Vieques (Moraima Rivera, Vieques,
Puerto Rico)
(5)	Workshop: Theatre in Resistance (Laurel Smith, Burning Passions
Theatre, Toronto)
(6) 	Workshop: Global Nonviolent Peace Force (Pam Fitzgerald)

Organized by the Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade

<2> List of 131 NGO Endorsements for COAT's October 6 event

Please note that the tone and location of the event which COAT had
originally planned for Saturday, October 6 (i.e., the "No to NATO: Festival
of Creative Nonviolence") was modified because of the September 11
terrorist attack on the U.S.  In its place, we have organized a Vigil for
Nonviolence, on the same date, October 6, beginning on Parliament Hill at 1
pm.  We will walk in a silent procession -- to "silence the violence" -- to
First United Church for a program of speakers, music and workshops.  That
program will begin at 2 pm.

We expect that most, if not all, of the NGOs that endorsed our festival
would agree with our new plans to hold a Vigil for Nonviolence.  It has
most of the same speakers, musicians and workshops that were planned for
our festival.  While some of the endorsing NGOs have contacted COAT to
express their support for our new event, we have been too busy to
correspond with all of these 131 NGOs to confirm that their endorsement for
the festival can now apply to our Vigil for Nonviolence.  With all that in
mind...

Here is the list of 131 endorsers:

Antiwar.com, USA
Appeal of the Nobel Peace Laureates for Children - France
Association of Serbian Women
Australian Peace Committee (S.A. Branch), Australia
Australians for a Free East Timor, Australia
Barnard-Boecker Centre Foundation
Befriending the Earth
Bertrand Russell Peace Foundation, UK
Bethune Institute for Anti-Fascist Studies
British Columbia Voice of Women
Campaign Against Military Bases (Samtok herstodvaandstaedinga), Iceland
Canada Tibet Committee
Canadian Action for Indonesia and East Timor Quadra
Canadian Auto Workers
Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture
Canadian Doukhobor Society
Canadian Federation of Students
Canadian Orthodox Archdiocese of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Kiev)
Canadian Peace Alliance/l'Alliance canadienne pour la paix
Canadian Physicians for Global Survival
Canadian Religious Conference - Ontario
Canadian Voice of Women for Peace
Central Alberta Raging Grannies
Centre for Peace Studies (McMaster University)
Centre for Social Justice
Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade
Communist Party of Canada
Community for Reconciliation
Conscience Canada
Convergence: Poems for Peace
Council of Canadians
Defence of Canadian Liberty Committee
Development and Peace
Eco Justice Committee, Anglican Church of Canada
End the Arms Race
Enviro-Clare
Eticonomia, Italy
European Regional of the Humanist International
European Youth For(est) Action, The Netherlands
Father's Day Coalition for Peace
Fellowship of Reconciliation - USA
FLORA.org
Food Not Bombs - Ottawa
Fredericton Raging Grannies
Friends (Quakers) Johannesburg, South Africa
Friends of Gabriola Island
Gerald and Maas
Global Compliance Research Project
Global Network Against Weapons and Nuclear Power in Space, USA
Global Resource Action Center for the Environment, USA
Green Party of Ontario
Guideposts for a Sustainable Future
Hamilton Action for Social Change
Homes not Bombs - Toronto
Humanist Association of Ottawa
Illinois Peace Action, USA
Industrial Workers of the World - Ottawa-Outaouais
International Institute of Concern for Public Health
International Society for Peace and Human Rights
International Volunteers for Peace, Australia
Island Catholic News
Jesuit Centre for Social Faith and Justice
Jonah House, USA
Kashmiri-Canadian Council
Latin American Circle for International Studies, Mexico
Le Centre de Ressources sur la Non-Violence
Les Artistes pour la Paix
Lethbridge Network for Peace
Ligue Anti-Impérialiste de Belgique, Belgium
M.K.Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence, USA
MakePeace International
Mama Terra / For Mother Earth, Romania
Mauritius Action for Disarmament and Peace, Mauritius
Montreal Raging Grannies
Nanoose Expropriation Objectors
National Union of Public and General Employees
Nepean Outreach to the World
New Democratic Party - Canada
Nicaragua-United States Friendship Office, USA
NS PIRG - Dalhousie University
Nuclear Free Philippines Coalition, Philippines
Nukewatch, USA
Objection de conscience / Voices of Conscience
Ontario Public Interest Research Group - Carleton
Ontario Public Interest Research Group - McMaster
Ontario Public Interest Research Group - Ottawa
Ontario Public Interest Research Group - Windsor
Ottawa Centre NDP
Ottawa Cuba Connections
Peace & Disarmament Working Group/Social Responsibility Cttee., First
Unitarian Congregation, Ottawa.
Peace Alliance Winnipeg
Peace and Environment Resource Centre
Peace Research
Peaceful Parks Coalition
Peacemedia
Project Peacemakers
Project Ploughshares - Edmonton
Project Ploughshares - Fraser Valley
Project Ploughshares - Niagara
Project Ploughshares - Saskatoon
Quebec Public Interest Research Group - McGill
Raging Grannies - Ottawa
Raging Grannies Saskatoon
Rainforest Raging Grannies - Vancouver
Science for Peace
Serbian Heritage Society
Sierra Club of Canada
Sierra Youth Coalition
Social Justice Committee of Montreal
Social Justice Ministry Group at First United Church
St. Clare's Multifaith Housing Society
Students for a Free Tibet - Canada
Sunshine Coast Peace Group
The Atomic Mirror, USA
The Centre for Peace in the Balkans
The Clare Community Health Board, Nova Scotia
The Nuclear Resister, USA
Third World Forum
Toronto Action for Social Change
Urgent Action Fund/The Balkan Gender Intitiative, Rights & Democracy
Vancouver Island Earth Works Society
Vancouver Island Public Interest Research Group
Veterans Against Nuclear Arms
Veterans Against Nuclear Arms - Manitoba
Victoria Raging Grannies
Voices in the Wilderness, USA
Washington Peace Center, USA
Women's International League for Peace and Freedom - Canada
Woodstock Raging Grannies
Youth Action Network
Zero Tolerance Network

Notes:
* Unless otherwise stated, these NGOs are located in Canada.

* A complete listing of all these NGOs (including contact information,
description of NGO, solidarity messages) will soon be available on the COAT
website <http://www.ncf.ca/coat>

<3> Why we will walk in silence this Saturday, October 6

The following is the text of a flier which we will distribute on Saturday
October 6 to participants in our walk from Parliament Hill (1 pm.) to First
United Church (2 pm.):

                   ... SILENCE ...
            No more               Non à la
                      VIOLENCE

We walk in silence, to express our respect and solidarity for all those
whose lives have been silenced by terrorism, war, repression and poverty.

We remember that millions of innocents have died in war, during the past
fifty years alone. Millions more have died for lack of food, water, health
care and housing.

Our message of peace and justice is also silenced by cries for revenge and
the propaganda of war in the daily news.

After the silence of this walk, we shall work together to strengthen our
collective voice for peace.  We shall be heard.

====

Nous marchons en silence pour exprimer notre respect et solidarité envers
tous ceux dont la vie a été coupée court par le terrorisme, la guerre, la
répression et la pauvreté.
	Nous nous souvenons que des millions d'innocents sont morts dans une
guerre lors des cinquantes dernières années. Plusieurs millions d'autres
personnes sont mortes par manque de nourriture, d'eau, de services médicaux
ou d'abris.
	Notre message de paix et de justice a aussi été étouffé jour après jour
par les cris de vengeance et la propagande militaire dans les medias.
	Après le silence de cette marche, nous travaillerons ensemble à consolider
notre voix collective envers la paix. Nous nous ferons entendre.

<4> Final planning meeting tonight

Tuesday, October 2, 7:30 pm.
St. John Anglican Church,
154 Somerset W. (just east of Elgin St.)

What better way could you imagine of celebrating Mohandas K. Gandhi's
birthday (Oct 2) than joining us at our final planning meeting tonight?

<5> Posters for Vigil for Nonviolence, Oct. 6

ON LINE:
<http://www.paulgross.com/coat/vigil.pdf> (200K)

(The poster contains a colourful graphic -- a dove made with the word peace
in many languages.  This image comes out well even with a black and white
printer.)

Please print, copy and post this poster, and encourage others to do so as
well.  Thanks.

Please put these posters up on telephone poles, in offices, stores,
libraries, places of worship, community centres, schools, universities, and
wherever else you can think of.

                          Richard Sanders
       Coordinator, Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade (COAT)

 A network of individuals and NGOs across Canada and around the world

          541 McLeod St., Ottawa Ontario K1R 5R2  Canada
            Tel.:  613-231-3076      Fax: 613-231-2614
     Email: <ad207@ncf.ca>   Web site: <http://www.ncf.ca/coat>

 Help build opposition to NATO PA meetings in Ottawa, Oct. 5-9, 2001!
                  Join the "no_to_nato" list serve:
 Send the message:  subscribe no_to_nato   to   <majordomo@flora.org>
Read the archives of our list serve <http://www.flora.org/coat/forum/>

             Sign our "Global Appeal for 'No More Violence'"
                 <http://www.flora.org/coat/appeal/>