[OPIRG-EVENTS] Six Workshops at Vigil for Nonviolence, Sat. Oct 6

Vigil for Nonviolence, Saturday, October 6

	for a <SILENT PROCESSION> to

	(397 Kent St., at Florence St.)
	for a <VIGIL FOR NONVIOLENCE> with
	Speakers, Music, Discussion groups & workshops.

Following the speakers and music at First United Church, participants will
be invited to attend any one of six simultaneous workshops and discussion
groups.  Here are the details.  (There is no fee to attend any of these
activities.)

WORKSHOPS AND DISCUSSION GROUPS

America at War
(Michel Chossudovsky, Economics, Univ. of Ottawa)

Background:
Professor Chossudovsky, is an leading academic expert who has written
numerous books and articles on U.S. foreign policy.  He will address a
variety of questions, including: Who is Ousmane bin Laden?  What is the
presumed evidence against bin Laden and what are his connections to the
CIA’s covert war against Afghanistan since the 1980s?  What role has the
U.S. played in sponsoring international terrorism?  What is the hidden
agenda behind the US-led "war against terrorism"?

Global Nonviolent Peace Force
(Pam Fitzgerald)

Background:
The Nonviolent Peace Force Canada was founded in May, 2000, to educate
Canadians in the methods and skills of nonviolence as an alternative to war
and violent conflict.  Another goal is to help the global effort to create,
train and operate an  international nonviolent peace force to send to
conflict areas worldwide.

Nonviolence in Action
(Matthew Behrens, Homes Not Bombs)

Background:
This workshop will focus on confronting injustice in ways which are
confrontational, direct, nonviolent and transformative, three cornerstones
of the Hmes not Bombs approach to direct action. This workshop is not
staged in judgment of those who wish to go beyond such perameters, but
rather to explore what has been an effective force for social change (and
subsequent community building) in the campaigns to link poverty and
militarism. Part of the discussion will focus on participants' creative
ideas for confronting Canada's Ottawa-based home of space warfare research,
DREO, at a nonviolent action November 9. (See back cover of this program.)

Organizing Opposition to the New Cold War
(Richard Sanders, Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade)

Background:
The horrific events of September 11, have brought the world to the brink of
war.  As we face the imminent prospects of US-led military strikes against
Afghanistan, and possibly other countries as well, we are also seeing the
beginnings of a new Cold War.  The purpose of this workshop is to bring
together activists from a variety of organizations to brainstorm ideas and
discuss possible courses of action.  How do we best respond to: demands for
Canadian participation in military campaigns, renewed pressure to increase
public funding for the military and secret police (CSIS), a government
crack down on civil liberties and legitimate dissent, new barriers for
refugees and immigrants and an upsurge in racist assaults against visible
minorities.

Solidarity with Vieques
(Moraima Rivera, visiting activist from Puerto Rico)

Background:
Moraima Rivera, is a farmer and activist who lives on a small Puerto Rican
island called Vieques.   She will show a brief video that outlines how the
U.S. military, and other NATO forces, use Vieques as a testing ground for
live ammunition, including depleted uranium weapons.  The environmental and
health effects have been devastating.  She will also describe the
widespread campaign of nonviolent resistance by the people Vieques.
Thousands have been jailed for nonviolent protests against the bombing.  It
is important for people in Canada to learn about thhis struggle and to work
in solidarity with the people of Vieques.

Theatre in Resistance
(Laurel Smith, Burning Passions Theatre, Toronto)

Background:
Theatre has a long tradition as a resistance tool, and today's protest
movement continues on that tradition in ever more creative form.  Theatre
can not only enliven any protest event (who says protest can't be fun?) but
can also serve to heighten communication to the general public on what the
issues are through the use of symbol - both visual and verbal.
Incorporating a theatrical component - be it spectacle, pageantry, clown,
participatory audience interaction, enactment of scenes, etc. -- creates a
context and a structure for communication of ideas in a way that simple
preaching, lecturing or speechifying cannot accomplish.  This workshop will
explore ideas and give examples of how theatre can be used as a non-violent
transformative tool for a just society.

                          Richard Sanders
       Coordinator, Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade (COAT)

 A network of individuals and NGOs across Canada and around the world

          541 McLeod St., Ottawa Ontario K1R 5R2  Canada
            Tel.:  613-231-3076      Fax: 613-231-2614
     Email: <ad207@ncf.ca>   Web site: <http://www.ncf.ca/coat>

 Help build opposition to NATO PA meetings in Ottawa, Oct. 5-9, 2001!
                  Join the "no_to_nato" list serve:
 Send the message:  subscribe no_to_nato   to   <majordomo@flora.org>
Read the archives of our list serve <http://www.flora.org/coat/forum/>

             Sign our "Global Appeal for 'No More Violence'"
                 <http://www.flora.org/coat/appeal/>