[OPIRG-EVENTS] ROOTS OF RESISTANCE Tour, Ottawa event

ROOTS OF RESISTANCE Tour, Ottawa event

Saturday, Dec 1st, 2001
7 pm, Free (Donations Welcome)

Room 1124
Saint Paul University
223 Main St. - across the street from the Green Door.
(#5 bus route)
(Wheelchair Accessible)

** panel discussion with **

Juan Nivardo Rodriguez, Juventudes Libertarias, Bolivia.  Juventudes
Libertarias has been active in the University of La Paz, working to
establish
anarchist groups on campus that support the campesino (peasant farm-worker)
and
cocalero (coca grower) sector, mainly coordinating awareness-raising
activities
on issues like capitalism, corporate globalization and direct action.

Chelby Daigle-Oniyemofe, Anti-Oppression Ottawa (AOO).   Chelby is heavily
involved in anti-racist and anti-classist work locally in schools and
communities - including AOO, Colours of Resistance, and the Ottawa City
Council
Poverty Issues Advisory Committee.

Pablo Leal, Canada-Colombia Solidarity Campaign (CCSC).   Among other
projects,
the CCSC recently had a 'Minga' delegation of 30 Canadians from diverse
areas
of civil society (indigenous, women, afro-canadians, unionists, student
activists) go to Colombia to exchange with their counterparts in Colombia to
develop reciprocal solidarity against the violence imposed by the current
political, economic, and social model.

(possible fourth speaker TBA, Shawn Brant, Ontario Coalition Against
Poverty)

Topics to Be Discussed Include:

- Analysis of the particularities of local resistance movements (locally
rooted
antipoverty/anti-capitalist coalitions in Canada, popular struggles in
Colombia
and Bolivia) and how they tie to the anti-globalization struggles that most
commonly manifest in the street protests like the one we just went through
here
in Ottawa two weekends ago.

- A critical look at "anti-globalization" organizing - a self-critical
reflection about where our collective resistances (canada-south) are headed,
what we are doing well and where we are falling short.

- A discussion of viable alternatives to the current order, especially as
found
in the local communities of Colombia and Bolivia.

Afterwards there will be time for questions and a chance to get to know each
other, including food and music.  See you there!