[OPIRG-EVENTS] Friday, Dec. 7: DEMONSTRATION for HUMAN and INDIGENOUS RIGHTS inColombia & Bolivia

Date:          Tue, 4 Dec 2001 11:30:54 -0800
From:          "Nicole Schabus" <schabus@ocis.net>
Subject:       DEMONSTRATION for HUMAN and INDIGENOUS RIGHTS in
Colombia and Bolivia

In the last month we have witnessed increasing agression and crimes
against indigenous peoples and legitimate peoples movements in
Colombia and Bolivia.

There are a couple of significant dates in the next few days:

December 10th, 2001 International Human Rights Day

December 11th, 2001 10th Anniversary of the Massacre of Nilo in
Cauca, Colombia, where 13 indigenous persons were killed when they
reclaimed their land.

Just last week paramiliatries again killed 13 indigenous persons in
Cauca (bringing back bad memories). They also threatened indigenous
and black communities in the Naya Valley, where a massacre occurred
just before Easter. As we speak the military presence in the area is
being increased.

THIS NEEDS OUR ATTENTION! WE HAVE TO MAKE OUR PROTEST KNOWN SO
COLOMBIA KNOWS THE WORLD IS WATCHING!

As for Bolivia: Oscar Olivera, the key water activist, was arrested
last week and released thanks to international pressure, but the
charges were not dropped so they could do this again any time. So we
also want to let the Bolivian government know we are watching them.

Meet on FRIDAY DECEMBER 7TH, 2001 at 11:45-12:00 for a lunchtime
vigil and demo in front of the Colombian Embassy (address below).
Chief Art Manuel (Interior Alliance, BC) will be there to speak on
the situation he witnessed in Cauca and on solidarity with his
indigenous brothers and sisters in the South.

At 12:30 we will move onto the Bolivian Embassy, 2 blocks down Albert
St., where Chief Garry John, who was in Bolivia and met Oscar
Olivera, will speak about the peoples movement there.

VIVA Cochabamba!
VIVA  Colombia! Kimy for President! (the national indian congress
just nominated
him as a candidate)
STOP AGGRESSION AGAINST INDIGENOUS PEOPLES AND PEOPLES MOVEMENTS!

Bolivian embassy:
130 Albert Street, Suite 416
Tel: 613-236-5730
Fax: 613-236-8237