[OPIRG-EVENTS] ACTION!! FUNERAL MARCH for Civil Liberties & Canadian Democracy - Saturday, December 15

From: nowar_paix@flora.org

ACTION!!

FUNERAL MARCH for Civil Liberties & Canadian Democracy - Saturday, December 15

WHAT:   The next NOWAR weekly demonstration
WHERE:  York and Sussex, Ottawa
WHEN:   Saturday, December 15, 12:00
WHO:    All those who oppose war, racism, and the infringement of civil
        liberties
WHY:    Because if you don't, who will?

FUNERAL MARCH FOR THE DEATH OF CIVIL LIBERTIES, RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS

    The demonstration will rendezvous at York and Sussex, then at 12:15 the
funeral march through the market begins, ending at Parliament Hill. This is
being held in response to the call for Canada-wide action put out by the
Committee in Defense of Civil Liberties and Freedoms in Hamilton, Ontario.
Marches have also been scheduled for Toronto and occupations are/have been
taking place in Edmonton (Anne McLellans' office) and Vancouver (Stephen
Owen's office.)

Wear black, and bring along your favorite stories about Canadian Civil
Liberties and Canadian Democracy, which may soon be with us no more. In lieu
of flowers, the family has asked that you contact your favorite senators to
voice your protest ASAP. Below is the original call to action as forwarded
from the Committee in Defense of Civil Liberties and Freedoms in Hamilton,
Ontario:

Bill C-36 Kills Our Civil Rights and Freedoms!

A Canada-Wide Call for Action

This Saturday December 15th, the Committee in Defense of Civil Liberties and
Freedoms in Hamilton, Ontario, is holding a funeral march to symbolize the
death of civil liberties and Canadian democracy as we know it.

We are calling on all progressive democratic forces in Canada to join in this
action. It is imperative that we express our total disbelief and contempt for
this government, which is selling our sovereignty and civil liberties to a
foreign super-power without adequately informing and consulting its citizens.

defeat_bill_c36@hotmail.com

More information on Bill C-36 and its opposition:

http://www.canadianliberty.bc.ca
http://ontario.indymedia.org/
http://alberta.indymedia.org/
http://victoria.indymedia.org/
NOWAR
declarations of war by the U.S. government and its military allies, the
attack on civil liberties and the right to dissent, and the ugly racist and
xenophobic attacks on innocent people of colour across North  America, a
group of concerned Ottawa-area citizens has recently formed the Network to
Oppose War and Racism (NOWAR).

This coalition has three goals:
1) to oppose terrorism in all its forms, the U.S. call to war, and Canada's
participation therein;
2) to oppose racism and the racist backlash against people of colour,
including attacks
on immigrant and refugee rights;
3) to oppose the erosion of civil liberties in the name of national
security.

Our network, which is made up of a diversity of members from within the
community, seeks to build a broad-based coalition of organizations and
individuals within the Ottawa region to advance the above goals by
organizing events and increasing public awareness in the coming weeks
andmonths.

NOWAR is running a campaign of weekly demonstrations beginning every
Saturday at 12:00 at York and Sussex. For further information about the
weekly demonstrations please contact Bill at billandcolleen@comnet.ca, or
(613) 831-3490, or for general information about NOWAR contact
nowar_paix@flora.org

with no subject. In the text of the message simply type:
    	subscribe nowar
    	end
If you just want to check the list posting then you can go to:
http://www.flora.org/flora/forumdb/flora.phtml/nowar/