[OPIRG-EVENTS] Ottawa-Carleton Assembly of School Councils Ottawa: Jan 31; Pickering:Feb 23

OCASC HOSTS RALLY AT PC LEADERSHIP DEBATE

The Ottawa-Carleton Assembly of School Councils is holding a rally outside
the Progressive Conservative leadership debate in Ottawa January 31. "The
more people we can get to the rally," writes OCASC Chair Greg Laws, "the
stronger the message will be that education is important."

WHEN: January 31, 2002, 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
WHERE: Ottawa Marriott Hotel, 100 Kent St., northwest corner of Kent and
Queen
EVENT: Ontario PC leadership debate (a PC membership is required to enter
the debate)
Information: Chris Ellis, <communications.officer@ocasc.ca>, (613) 748-1401

ONTARIO SCHOOL ADVOCATES MEET FEB. 23 TO SET ELECTION STRATEGY

On Saturday, February 23, education advocates from across Ontario will be
meeting at Durham College in Pickering, just east of Toronto, to plan
strategy for the upcoming provincial election.

Across Ontario, school board budgets are hitting the wall after years of
punishing cutbacks, all of them brought about by a provincial education
(de)funding formula that has taken $3 billion out of our classrooms since
1997. According to the Ontario Public School Boards' Association, 16 boards
had to use financial reserves last year to avoid passing budget deficits.
For too many boards, there are no reserves left -- so that complying with
provincial policy will mean another rash of school closures, special
education cutbacks, teacher layoffs, and program reductions.

Whenever it takes place, the provincial election may be our last
opportunity to call this government to account while there's a public
education system left to be saved. Durham Region is the home of Education
Minister Janet Ecker and Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, and it's only
appropriate to hold this workshop in their back yard.

At the People for Education conference in Toronto last November,
participants discussed a number of possible strategies for the
pre-election and election period. Those ideas and others will form the
basis for the Durham workshop. Whether participants reach agreement on a
single course of action or decide to pursue a variety of strategies, a
greater degree of co-ordination will help make sure that the next
generation
of provincial MPPs are friendlier to public education...and that school
funding and program issues receive the urgent attention they deserve.

Watch your e-mail for further details on this important workshop. To
pre-register, or for more information, contact:

Annie Kidder, People for Education,
<ericann@the-wire.com>, (416) 534-0100 (office)

Mitchell Beer, Our Schools, Our Communities,
<mlb@infolink.ca>, (613) 237-6227 (home)

The workshop is co-sponsored by People for Education, Our Schools, Our
Communities, and Durham Region education advocates
=========================
<mlb@infolink.ca>
Mitchell Beer
Co-Chair
Our Schools, Our Communities
(613) 237-6227/voice
(613) 235-0155/fax
P.O. Box 4299, Station E
Ottawa, ON   K1S 5B3
http://www.osoc-ottawa.org <http://www.osoc-ottawa.org/>

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@	Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<,	758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)	ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714