[OPIRG-EVENTS] reminder: Fri.Feb.15, noon - VIGIL for Nigerian woman

 VIGIL -  Fri. Feb.15  -  12 NOON
 295 Metcalfe St., near Gilmour,
           in front of the Nigerian High Commission

Safyia Husseini, a young Nigerian woman is condemned to death by stoning, by
the end of February, for having a child out of wedlock.
Background info from the BBC:
 http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/africa/newsid_1694000/1694027.stm

This woman is a victim of an interpretation of Islamic law which is
completely out of keeping with Islamic law.

There is growing media interest in this case locally, but many more faces
and sympathies are needed together to prove this, and time is running out.

Canadians need to know that we are expanding our trade with Nigeria, that we
signed an agreement to foster human rights there, in May 2001, but serious
human rights violations continue.

The vigil will be silent and brief.  It is only one of many things that can
be done to save her life, but it is a very important thing to do.

Please come, and bring friends.  Thanks, Peggy Land

Info: Peggy Land <peggyland@rogers.com>