[OPIRG-EVENTS] Upcoming Octopus events

We have 3 very exciting events for you to attend!  As always, our events
are free and fun.

1.  Join Ottawa author Jay Fothergill for the Ottawa launch of this unique
recipe/resource book, The Vegetarian Manifesto.  The evening will be fun &
informative, and will feature free samples of some of the recipes! All are
welcome.
When: Thursday Feb 21, 7:30 pm
Where: Octopus Books, 116 Third Ave
The store is wheelchair accessible, although the washrooms are not.

Now in a second edition, this complete resource has the how's and why's of
making the shift to a plant-based diet.  You'll find delicious and simple
recipes, the impacts of our food choices on the world, getting what you
need in a vegetarian diet, how to prepare grains & beans, diet & disease in
our society and much much more.  "Vegetarian Manifesto amuses & tempts" -
The Hamilton Spectator
"Yum" - Octopus Books

2.  This is still to be confirmed, but mark your calendar and look for a
future email confirming this event.
Meet Patrick Bond from the University of Witwatersrand, Graduate School of
Public & Development Management (Johannesburg, South Africa).  He will
discuss his recent books, Against Global Apartheid & Zimbabwe's Plunge.
When: Monday, Feb 25 5:30-7pm (TO BE CONFIRMED)
Where: Octopus Books, 116 Third Ave

Patrick Bond has published extensively on Zimbabwe & South Africa and is an
active contributor to national, regional and global discussions concerning
neo-liberalism and social justice.  He is a voluntary associate of the
Alternative Information and Development Centre in Johannesburg and of the
Center for Economic Justice in Washington.

3.  Book Launch with a twist! Octopus Books has joined forces with
OPIRG-Carleton to bring you Gordon Laird, with his multi-media presentation
on his  latest book, Power: Journeys Across an Energy Nation.

When: Thursday, Feb 28, 7pm
Where: St. Paul University, 223 Main St. Room 203 (Auditorium)

What many Canadians don't realize, argues Laird, is that
Canada doesn't suffer from too little power, but too much. With
plentiful domestic sources of fossil fuel, it's likely that we'll push
the environmental limits of our own economy  a critical load
of pollution and greenhouse gas emissions that will precipitate
costly consequences  well before we actually run out of oil
and gas. Behind Canada's energy riches and troubled
ecosystems stands a question: power built Canada's first
century, but will it undo the next?

www.gordonlaird.com / www.penguin.ca / www.octopusbooks.org

Critical thinking for over 30 years
Now on the world wide web