[OPIRG-EVENTS] Tonight, THE POLITICS OF WORK

" THE POLITICS OF WORK "

SPEAKER:
Jeff Schmidt
author of "Disciplined Minds",
former staff editor of Physics Today

ABSTRACT:
Using examples from various professions (Medicine, Law, Psychology,
Physics, etc.), Jeff will argue along the lines of his recent book
"Disciplined Minds, A critical look at salaried professionals and the
soul-battering system that shapes their lives"
(http://disciplined-minds.com/) that work is an inherently political
activity and will explore the consequences of this perspective.  Jeff
will also talk about the Physics Today workplace and his recent
dismissal.  The talk will be followed by a question and discussion
period.

PLACE AND TIME:
7:00 pm, Friday, February 22, in the Alumni Auditorium,
University Centre, 85 University Drive, University of Ottawa.

All are welcome.  Admission is free.

LOCAL CONTACT PERSON:
Denis Rancourt, dgr@physics.uottawa.ca, tel. 613-562-5800 ext.6774

----------------------------

Note from local host Denis Rancourt:

Jeff's book is the most insightful analysis of professional training and
professional life that I have ever encountered.  It explains how and why
our professional training programs (university programs and professional
schools) are designed and operate the way they do.  These structures and
mechanisms are most often not understood by the educators themselves or
the students that subject themselves to them.  This book has changed the
way I view my job (as a university professor), my students, my employer,
..., and the way I teach and supervise graduate students.  Jeff's ideas
are worthy of note, whether or not one agrees with his perspective.  He
has lost his job over it.  Visit the web site!  His dismissal has been
contested by letter writing campaigns lead by Noam Chomsky and others.

(http://disciplined-minds.com)