[OPIRG-EVENTS] [ftaaott] GET ON THE BUS TO TORONTO FOR SOCIAL JUSTICE IN ONTARIO!(fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:27:33 -0500
From: John Hollingsworth <hollingsworth@caut.ca>
To: ftaaott@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [ftaaott] GET ON THE BUS TO TORONTO FOR SOCIAL JUSTICE IN ONTARIO!

GET ON THE BUS TO TORONTO FOR SOCIAL JUSTICE IN ONTARIO!

The Ottawa Coalition Against the Tories (OCAT) is busing people wanting to
get to T.O. for the OCF rally and snake march and the OFL’s People’s Rally
on Saturday 23rd at Moss Park and Allan Gardens respectively.  We are also
offering a van and carpool service for those wishing to leave earlier and/or
return later.  The cost for this is on a sliding scale.  Leave us a message
at 290-7713 or visit our webpage www.tao.ca/~ocat/ott-to-toronto.html for
more info.  You can reserve your transportation online at:
www.tao.ca/~ocat/reserve.html.

ONTARIO COMMON FRONT
The Ontario Common Front is preparing a challenge on the streets of Toronto
to the Tory Leadership Convention that will focus anger and resistance to
this hated and increasingly discredited Government. Whether the potential
replacements to Mike Harris pose as 'kinder, gentler' versions of the Common
Sense Revolution, or whether they gleefully promise to take it to even more
rabid extremes, they are all social criminals who have inflicted pain and
misery on working and poor people in this Province.

Dining with the Tories!
Take Back a Piece of Ontario!
Friday, March 22nd
6:30 PM
meet at MOSS PARK (QUEEN & SHERBOURNE)
RALLY & SNAKE MARCH
The Tories will be settling in for some fine dining while the province goes
hungry. Guess who will be joining them? We are not going to let them eat
without at least giving them a little indigestion. Taking a cue from our
Argentinean sisters and brothers we ask that everyone bring their pots and
pans as we take to the streets and make some noise. As we do this, a little
bird told us that some concerned Ontario citizens may be taking a piece of
Ontario back and may be converting it into some temporary housing. If this
is true we will drag ourselves away from the Tories and end the march at
this new housing to congratulate the folks there on their civic mindedness
and reflect on how they accomplished something the Tories refuse to do.
Perhaps some of us will want to spend some time that night with them at
their new digs.

Take Back Ontario 2002
Rally & March
Saturday, March 23rd
12 PM
meet at ALLAN GARDENS (CARLTON & SHERBOURNE)
RALLY & SNAKE MARCH
The Tory leadership convention will be in full swing and so will we! It's
not going to be business as usual for these politicians and their corporate
backers. They plan to elect a new leader. We plan to hold a mass, diverse,
militant, and disciplined demonstration that converges on the convention.
For this day to be a success we need your creativity and skills so start
planning with your group, friends, co-workers, organization ASAP so we can
show the new Tory leader that the people of Ontario are still able to fight
back and this time they plan to fight to win!

DEMANDS:

1. HEALTHCARE
Stop the privatization of healthcare;
absolutely no delisting of medical services
Check out:
Ontario Health Coalition

2. EDUCATION
No deregulation of post-secondary fees;
End standardized testing and the private school tax credit (voucher) scheme

3. HOUSING
Replace the so-called "Tenant Protection Act" with legislation that acutally
protects the interests of tenants;
Reinstate rent control;
Commence the building of 2000 units of social housing a year

4. SOCIAL ASSISTANCE
Reinstate the 21.6% cut to welfare;
index all social assistance benefits to the costs of living

5. WORKERS' RIGHTS
Raise the minimum wage to $10/ hour;
Repeal the 60 hour work week;
Reinstate the right to refuse unsafe work and anti-scab legislation

6. PRIVATIZATION
Absolutely no privatization of our energy and water supplies

OCF-Toronto
www.tao.ca/~ocf
ocf@tao.ca
(416) 760-2463

ONTARIO FEDERATION OF LABOUR
As the past 7 years have shown us - it's easier to break a society, than it
is to build one. We will not forget the last 7 lean, deadly years. Electing
a new leader makes no difference.

The roll call of destruction that this government has unleashed on the
people has been severe:

Walkerton - seven people lost their lives.
The shooting death of Dudley George, unarmed native protester.
Kimberly Rogers, died under house arrest. Her crime - being poor.
Overflowing Hospital Emergency Rooms
Schools starved of cash, special needs kids abandoned.
Workers killed and maimed at work no longer protected by legislation.
The homeless in ever-increasing numbers living on the streets.
After 7 years of this Tory regime in Ontario, we can truly say that instead
of being a guardian of the people, this government has been a predator.

OFL
www.ofl.ca
info@ofl-fto.on.ca
(416) 441-2731

OFL People’s Rally
12:00-2:00 PM, Simcoe Park (Simcoe and Front Streets) Outside the Tory
Leadership Convention

PLEASE NOTE:  If your union, organization or group is willing to sponsor
this event (and perhaps help us in our fundraising to offset individual
costs), please let us know ASAP.  If you can help us with postering and
distributing our pamphlet, please let us also know ASAP; contact OCAT at
ocat@tao.ca.

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.