[OPIRG-EVENTS] Join us in calling on Big Tobacco to stop killing babies

To: OPIRG-events@ox.org
From: Christy Ferguson <derby@canada.com>

Who:	Physicians for a Smoke-Free Canada
www:	www.smoke-free.ca
Date:	Wednesday, April 24
Time:	10:30am
Place:	Centennial Flame, Parliament Hill
        (wheelchair accessible)
What:   Join us in calling on Big Tobacco to stop killing
        babies.

BECAUSE OF TOBACCO COMPANIES, 105 CANADIAN BABIES DON’T
LIVE TO TAKE THEIR FIRST STEPS.

Every year, the use of tobacco industry products results in
the death of 105 Canadians under 1 year of age.

More than 5% of infant deaths are associated with exposure
to second-hand smoke, through Sudden Infant Death and
respiratory disease.  That’s more than twice as many as are
killed in unintentional injuries, like car accidents,
drowning, and fires.

There infant deaths are profoundly tragic.  And the
response of tobacco companies has been dismal.  They
continue to deny their responsibilities towards these most
innocent victims of their business.

We think it’s time the companies did more.  We’re asking
them to:
1.  Admit that their products kill non-smokers, including
    babies.
2.  Establish measure to reduce the number of babies killed
    by their products.
3.  Apologize to the families who have suffered the loss of
    an infant which may have been attributable to the use
    of tobacco products.

On Wednesday, April 24th at 10:30am we’ll be gathering at
Parliament Hill to send the companies this message in a
colourful way.  If you want to join us, please call
613-233-4878.

Cynthia Callard
Executive Director
Physicians for a Smoke-Free Canada