[OPIRG-EVENTS] NATIONAL DAY OF ACTION ON PUBLIC HEALTH CARE: RALLY AND FREE MOVIESCREENING of 'JOHN Q' PLUS DISCUSSION (fwd)

	    ****MAY 15th IS the NATIONAL DAY OF ACTION
        	 for PUBLIC HEALTH CARE in Canada*****

As you may know, our current health care system is being debated by a
traveling government commission which is going across the country seeking
Canadians' opinions on health care. One of the big issues is whether or not we
should privatize more of our health care system. Many politicians and
business organizations are arguing that this is the only option we
have. Many others, including professors, health workers and research and
policy experts are saying more private care would mean *THE END* to a
quality, public health care system that is designed to treat
EVERYONE.

In recognition of this fact, the Ottawa Health Coalition is sponsoring a
FREE MOVIE SCREENING of 'JOHN Q' and DISCUSSION on WEDNESDAY, May 15th
at 6:45 p.m. at the Mayfair Theatre (1064 Bank Street).

John Q (www.meetjohnq.com) is a film (featuring Denzel Washington adn Anne
Heche) about one family's fight for health care in the private US health
care system after they learn their son needs a heart transplant.
The family is low income and their health insurance policy will not cover
the cost of the transplant. Upset but very committed to their son's
survival, the family holds fundraisers, sells many of their possesions,
lobbies the  government- but it isn't enough. Feeling totally helpless
and distraught, John Q, the dad, decides to do something drastic
(you will have to come to the film to find out exactly what! - the film is
not suitable for young children as a result).

The producer who made this film is an American whose daughter has
a congenital heart defect. He knows the real costs of the American
health care system very well, so well in fact that US insurance
companies took out huge ads in national newspapers after the film was
released to assure Americans that something like this would never happen
to them (when in fact it happens EVERYDAY!).

At this event on WEDNESDAY May 15th, you will also be able to learn more
about the door to door canvass campaign that we are organizing in conjunction
with the Ontario Health Coalition. People who support public health care
have been distributing post cards addressed to the Prime Minister,
petitions for the Commission, bright red ribbons, and educational materials
to their neighbours, their friends, and their colleagues at their
workplaces.

Canvasses have already started and WILL CONTINUE THROUGHOUT THE SUMMER. If
you would like to participate, come to the film to get materials or to
sign up to participate as part of a group. You can also call Karen
at 737-1916 or Abe at 244-2817.  As well, the Ontario Health Coalition's
website (www.ontariohealthcoalition.ca) is full of information on the campaign
and has updates on the 28 TOWNS AND CITIES ACROSS THE PROVINCE now
participating.

There will also be a RALLY on Wednesday, May 15th at NOON outside of
Minister of Health Anne McLellan's office which is located at the Brooke
Claxton Bldg, Tunney's Pasture.  This rally is designed to show the
Minister that we are paying attention to her words and her activities
right now, and that we are demanding that she support and
SUFFICIENTLY FUND a ONE TIER, FULLY PUBLIC HEALTH CARE SYSTEM.

Hope to see everyone on Wednesday, the 15th so that we can show our
community and our governments that public health care is the *ONLY* way to
go, for everyone's sake.

- Ottawa Health Coalition

* Please call Nancy at 231-1116 OR Karen 737-1916 for more info
ALSO: there is no formal arrangement for child care though if we receive some
requests IN ADVANCE, it is possible that we can aim to organize
something- please call Nancy if you have child care needs and would like
to pursue this.

		"Hope is a passion for the possible."