[OPIRG-EVENTS] Discussion series continues May 22 - G8 plans for Africa

Global Democracy Ottawa (GDO) invites you to participate in our
ongoing open discussion on the G8's agenda for Africa.

Jean Chrétien and the G8 -- the 8 wealthiest countries in the world
-- have a new plan for Africa. They want to increase aid and foreign
investment in African countries. But are they interested in ending
the exploitation of Africa's people and her resources? Are they
thinking of ending the debt enslavement in which African countries
find themselves? Is the G8 a legitimiate forum for this discussion,
or is it even capable of making these decisions, given that much of
the wealth the G8 countries enjoy was -- and continues to be --
pillaged from the continent? Is the New Partnership for Africa's
Development (NEPAD) a real answer to Africa's needs, or will it just
perpetuate the conditions that lead to the current situation?

The G8 -- and NEPAD -- insist that free trade, total privatisation,
and foreign investment are the recipe for recovery when until now
they have only produced misery and conflict. What are the
alternatives?

We agree with Chrétien that things must change in Africa, and that
Canada can help. But we need your help in deciding what changes are
needed, and what Canada's role should be.

All are welcome. There is no cost to participate.

Wednesday, May 22, 7:30 pm

St. Paul's University
Room 103
233 Main St.
Ottawa  (Wheelchair Accessible - Bus Route #5)
.

Background:

In May and June, Global Democracy Ottawa is holding seven
meetings to educate ourselves about the New Partnership for
Africa Development (NEPAD), and the G8, and how this affects
Africa and us.

NEPAD will be the principal proposal before the G8 when they
meet later in June in Kananaskis Alta, and, as a recovery plan
for Africa it is controversial.

In addition to Wednesday, May 22, we have blocked out the following
dates for similar evenings at St Paul's University.

Thursday May 30
Monday June 3
Tuesday June 11
Wednesday June 19

There will be two continuous strands we will pursue, with short
talks from invited speakers on African issues, and on the G8
and NEPAD. After questions we will continue in smaller discussion
groups.

Each evening will build on the previous ones, so we invite you
to attend as many as possible.

We expect some of the gatherings to include African foods.

Anyone interested can join with us in the planning by leaving a
message for Global Democracy Ottawa at 237-0730 or email info@gdo.ca

We will also be planning a rally for Saturday June 22, just before
the G8 meet that will give us an opportunity to raise public awareness
about decisions that may be made at the G8 that could be harmful to
Africa.

To find out more, check out the GDO website at http://www.gdo.ca

<end>