[OPIRG-EVENTS] Mark your Calendars: Freedom Fair, Saturday, June 22

Freedom Fair: Rally, March and Picnic for a Better Future for All of Us
Celebrate African Resistance and Resilience
Confederation Park, Saturday, June 22

Global Democracy Ottawa (GDO) is planning a rally and Freedom Fair on
Saturday June 22, just before the G8 summit (the leaders of the 7
wealthiest countries in the world plus Russia) in Kananaskis. The
event will give us an opportunity to raise public awareness about the
G8's agenda for Africa, celebrate African resistance and resilience,
and make the links between the current situations in Canada and the
African continent. Privatisation, corporate control, and putting the
squeeze on working people, the poor, and the environment are central
to the G8's plans for Africa - and Canada.

The planned activity includes a march from Major's Hill Park through
the Market, ending up at Confederation Park (Elgin and Laurier). At
Confederation Park there will be speeches, music, workshops, theatre,
crafts, food and drink. The whole event will run from noon to late
afternoon.

We will bring people together from all walks of life in a colourful
celebration of the kind of society that the G8 does not want us to
have, in order to make a public statement against the undemocratic,
cynical, and exploitive agenda of the G8, and to show that "another
world is possible." The focus is on Africa in response to the G8 and
Jean Chrétien's agenda for Africa and the so-called "New Partnership
for Africa's Development" (NEPAD). We want to make the links between
this plan and the policies we are fighting here in Canada, as well as
highlighting the rôle that Canada - and Canadians - could play in
genuinely helping Africa.

Contact Global Democracy Ottawa for more information at 237-0730, or
email info@gdo.ca.
To find out more about GDO, check out the GDO website at http://www.gdo.ca