[OPIRG-EVENTS] TAKE THE CAPITAL! CALENDAR of EVENTS, June 14-28, 2002

[please post and forward widely...]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= TAKE THE CAPITAL! CALENDAR of EVENTS =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                           June 14-28, 2002
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- OTTAWA -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

===>>>===>>> June 14, 15 & 16, 2002 <<<===<<<===

*** THE G8 -- BREAKING IT DOWN! ***
A community teach-in about local & global struggles & resistance

Free. * Traduction disponible vers le francais. * Childcare available on
request. * Lunch to be served by donation. * Wheelchair accessible.

---> OPENING PANEL: The G8 - Making The Links
     June 14, 2002, 7pm
     Ottawa Public Library
     120 Metcalfe
     (corner of Laurier)

With panelists:

* Patrick Bond (activist and writer from Johannesburg, South Africa)
* Aziz Fall (member of the Group for Research and Initiatives for the
Liberation of Africa)
* Pierre George (indigenous rights activist from the Stoney Point nation)
* Nandita Sharma (Open the Borders!)
* Sharon Venne (Cree activist and writer)

---> PANELS, WORKSHOPS & PLENARIES
     June 15 & 16, 2002, 10am-5pm
     122 L'Amoureux
     University of Ottawa

For more information, the full schedule of panel and workshops, speaker
bios, and panel and workshop topics, please see:
http://www.takethecapital.net/teachin.html .

===>>>===>>> JUNE 24, 2002 <<<===<<<===

*** BIKESHEVIKS ***

The Bikesheviks will begin their 2.5 day, 200km trek from Montreal to
Ottawa.

---> 9 AM
---> Complex Guy Favreau on René Lesvèsque Blvd, Montreal

For more information or to participate: research@tao.ca (ask to be put
on the mailing list) or call 514-848-7421

*** Evening SPOKESCOUNCIL ***
--> Somewhere in Ottawa (Location TBA)
--> 6 PM
(Up-to-date information will be available at the the Welcome Center.)

===>>>===>>> JUNE 25, 2002 <<<===<<<===

*** G8 HIGHWAY BLOCKADES ***
Highways Everywhere En Route to Ottawa...

Across Ontario communities are organizing Highway Caravans that will slow
the speed of traffic on the Hwy. 401 to its posted minimum. Caravans of
vehicles from just a couple to a whole fleet will drive together onto the
Hwy 401, move into both or all lanes, and gradually slow down. Help bring
the economy back under our own control. Grab on tight and slow down

Join us on the highways and in Ottawa in June as we take the capital !

The G8 Highway Blockades are an Ontario Common Front action.

Get in touch to organize or co-ordinate a caravan from your area:
In Kingston or for co-ordination info: (613) 531-3428 or pcu@kingston.net
In Peterborough: asauer@trentu.ca
In Guelph: mandy@tao.ca
In Kitchener-Waterloo: k-wtakethecapital@yahoo.ca

*** Evening SPOKESCOUNCIL ***
--> Somewhere in Ottawa (Location TBA)
--> 6 PM
(Up-to-date information will be available at the Welcome Center.)

===>>>===>>> JUNE 26, 2002 <<<===<<<===

*** SNAKE MARCHES ***
Take the Capital!
Disrupt the political operation of the G8 in its Canadian HQ!
Leave your mark on Ottawa!

---> A Snake March will leave from Dundonald Park (Somerset and Lyon,
across from the Beer Store) at 12 PM SHARP.

---> A second Snake March will leave from Confederation Square (The War
Memorial at Wellington and Elgin) at 1 PM SHARP.

(The starting point of each march is subject to last-minute change. Check for
up-to-date information about the starting point on-line at
www.takethecapital.net and  at the Welcome Center upon your arrival in
Ottawa on June 25 or 26.)

Both marches will be action-oriented, and will re-decorate the bureaucratic
core of the city with colorful and creative symbols of resistance as they
slide through Ottawa.

For more information: takethecapital@tao.ca

*** CHILL ZONE ***

---> Starting at 1PM and continuing throughout the days of protest.
---> Dundonald Park (Somerset and Lyon, across from the Beer Store)

At mid-day on June 26, Dundonald Park will be reclaimed to offer a
public, chill and festive space in which radical anti-capitalist and
anti-imperialist opposition to the G8 can be expressed and articulated in
eight thousand creative and artistic ways over the course of the two days
of protest.

The Chill Zone will also be established as the permanent food-serving site
of a number of notorious food collectives on June 26 & 27.

All protesters are asked to respect the chill and festive nature of the
zone.

---> If you want to perform, distribute materials & propaganda, play
music, organize workshops or contribute to the zone in any other colorful
way, please get in touch with us by emailing at takethecapital@tao.ca or
by phone at 613-788-3310. <---

*** BIKESHEVIKS VELORUTIONAIRES ***
"Take the Capital" Critical Mass

The Bikesheviks Velorutionaires will arrive in Ottawa.

---> Join them for a Critical Mass starting on the bike path north of
Cummings Bridge on the east side of the Rideau river (where Rideau Street
become Montreal Road).
---> 1 PM

For more info or to participate contact: research@tao.ca (ask to be put on
the mailing list) or call 514-848-7421.

*** REVOLUTIONARY KNITTING ACTION ***
Knitting Together a World of Peace and Social Justice
In Solidarity with the Revolutionary Knitting Circle

---> 11:30 AM - 1 PM
---> June 26, 2002
---> In front of the Canadian Council of Chief Executives - 90 Sparks St.

We invite the women in our community to knit or crochet 1 foot squares for
our anti-G8 action, which we will link together to form a gigantic "social
safety net" to symbolize a caring, compassionate and peaceful society.

Called by the Ottawa Committee of the World March of Women.
To get involved, contact: womensmarch@magma.ca / (613) 233-0228

*** MARCH AGAINST THE US EMBASSY ***
Exploitation, War, Aggression, Imperialism, Fight the G-8 Gangsters !

---> 4 PM
---> June 26, 2002
---> Starting from Rideau St. East, corner Cobourg (McDonald Park) - Ottawa

Initiée par la Coordination anti-impérialiste / during the "Take the
Capital" Global Days of Actions
For more information contact aicg_cai@web.net.

*** EVENING SPOKESCOUNCIL ***
--> Somewhere in Ottawa (Location TBA)
--> 6PM
(Up-to-date information will be available at the Welcome Center)

===>>>===>>> JUNE 27, 2002 <<<===<<<===

*** NO ONE IS ILLEGAL! ***
A March of 1000 Flags of Resistance

* In Solidarity with Self-Determination Struggles
* Pro-Immigrant & Indigenous Rights
* Against War, Imperialism and Racism

---> 1PM
---> Majors Hill Park
     (Across from the American Embassy)

Bring your flags of resistance and other symbols of opposition.

As the G8 retreats to the hills of Kananaskis to intensify the so-called
"War on Terror", we will converge in Ottawa against borders, the
criminalization of immigrants and refugees, racism, genocide and war.

In solidarity with refugee and immigrant communities, indigenous struggles
for self-determination, and all the victims of economic and military
imperialism, we assert that NO ONE IS ILLEGAL!

For more information: takethecapital@tao.ca or
http://www.takethecapital.net/nooneisillegal.html

*** A PINK BLOC on JUNE 27 ***

Triangle Trash is organizing a "Pink Bloc" for the TAKE THE CAPITAL
days of action against the G8 this June in Ottawa. The "Pink Bloc" will
converge on June 27th at 1:00 pm in Majors Hill Park for the NO ONE IS
ILLEGAL ! a March of 1000 Flags of Resistance. The March is planned to
be physically non confrontational.

We decided to march as part of NO ONE IS ILLEGAL to facilitate the
participation of as many Queers as possible. We recognize that people are
coming from different backgrounds and groups and we want people to be able
to march with the "Pink Bloc" and still be able to do their own thing.
People wanting to do more Direct Action style stuff will still have the
opportunity to do so on the 26th while being able to march
on the 27th with Queers who feel the need to be in lower risk actions.

For more info on the "Pink Bloc" or Triangle Trash contact us:
triangletrash@yahoo.ca or call (819) 771-0925

*** BIKESHEVIKS VELORUTIONAIRES ***
"Thousand Flags of Resistance" Critical Mass

---> 1PM
---> Starting on the bike path north of Cummings Bridge on the east side
of the Rideau river (where Rideau Street become Montreal Road)

For more info or to participate contact: research@tao.ca (ask to be put on
the mailing list) or call 514-848-7421.

*** EVENING SPOKESCOUNCIL ***
--> Somewhere in Ottawa (Location TBA)
--> 6 PM
(Up-to-date information will be available at the Welcome Center.)

If you wish to add an autonomously organized action or event to the Take
the Capital! calendar, please send the announcement to
takethecapital@tao.ca. The calendar will be updated and sent out weekly.

-----
TAKE THE CAPITAL!
Ottawa Actions Against the G8