[OPIRG-EVENTS] Jun 24: OSOC Focus group discussion on citizenship and citizenship education

Our Schools, Our Communities (OSOC):

During the week of June 24, OSOC will host a three- to 3 1/2-hour focus
group discussion on citizenship and citizenship education, on behalf of the
Canadian Teachers' Federation. We're looking for 15 to 20 local
participants, representing a cross-section of parents, teachers, students,
trustees, school administrators, and community leaders, to discuss the
links between public education and democratic citizenship. Refreshments and
a small gift will be provided to all participants.

If it strikes you that this is an odd time for OSOC to be engaging in a
qualitative research project, you're right -- but the timing and format of
the focus group permit us to include a series of questions that will help
us frame strong arguments about the impact of continuing school cutbacks.
(Any leftover revenue from the assignment will also help us buy a larger
print ad at the end of the month.) Which means that you can help us
continue the fight for an adequately-funded public school system by joining
a bunch of other interesting, informed people for a fascinating,
stimulating discussion.

Our preference is to hold the focus group during the late afternoon/early
evening of June 24. If you're interested in the discussion and available at
any time that week, please let us know by return e-mail ASAP. The need for
a broadly representative group will prevent us from confirming spots on a
first come, first served basis, but we will get back to you as soon as
possible.

<mlb@infolink.ca>
Mitchell Beer
Co-Chair