[OPIRG-EVENTS] Freedom Fair: Rally, March and Picnic THIS SATURDAY

[please post and/or circulate!]

Freedom Fair:
Rally, March and Picnic for a Better Future for All of Us
Celebrate African Resistance and Resilience

Location: Confederation Park
(Elgin & Laurier)

Saturday, June 22
1 to 5 pm

GATHER AT NOON at the plaza of the National Gallery on Sussex Drive.
MARCH through the Byward Market to Confederation Park

Join us for a non-violent rally and Freedom Fair on Saturday June 22,
just before the G8 summit (the leaders of the 7 wealthiest countries
in the world plus Russia) in Kananaskis. Help us raise public
awareness about the G8's agenda for Africa, celebrate African
resistance and resilience, and make the links between the current
situations in Canada and the African continent. Privatisation,
corporate control, and putting the squeeze on working people, the
poor, and the environment are central to the G8's plans for Africa --
and Canada.

'featuring speeches, music, workshops, theatre, crafts, food and drink'

We will bring people together from all walks of life in a colourful
celebration of the kind of society that the G8 does not want us to
have, in order to make a public statement against the undemocratic,
cynical, and exploitive agenda of the G8, and to show that "another
world is possible." The focus is on Africa in response to the G8 and
Jean Chrétien's agenda for Africa and the so-called "New Partnership
for Africa's Development" (NEPAD). We want to make the links between
this plan and the policies we are fighting here in Canada, as well as
highlighting the rôle that Canada - and Canadians - could play in
genuinely helping Africa.

Contact Global Democracy Ottawa for more information at 761-1724, or
email info@gdo.ca
http://www.gdo.ca