[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[OPIRG-EVENTS] Tonight!! "TAKE THE CAPITAL!" PUBLIC ASSEMBLY and Information Session
[please post and forward widely...]
"TAKE THE CAPITAL!" PUBLIC ASSEMBLY and
Friday, June 21, 2002
Ottawa Public Library Main Branch
120 Metcalfe (Metcalfe and Laurier)
The organizers of the "Take the Capital!" campaign invite you to an
Information Session about the events that will happen in our city on
June 26 and 27.
Throughout the North East Region of North America, organizations,
groups and individuals are planning two days of action called "Take
the Capital!". The days of action will happen here in Ottawa, in
resistance to the meetings of the G8 leaders in Kananaskis, Alberta
on June 26 & 27.
The evening will include:
* the G8 in 18 minutes
* what is "Take the Capital!"?
* Ottawa and Regional resistance to the G8
* how to get involved
* your questions and concerns
Join us in Ottawa in June as we take the capital!
For more information, or to get involved:
613-788-3310 (messages only)
ORGANIZING PRINCIPLES OF "TAKE THE CAPITAL!"
The organizing and political principles of the
"Take the Capital!" campaign are as follows:
- an analysis that emphasizes a clear anti-capitalist
and anti-imperialist position against globalization
- a clear emphasis on anti-oppression organizing and
- a focus on local organizing, as opposed to just
going from one big protest to another;
- trying to make genuine links between "anti-globalization"
issues and local organizing efforts;
- active support and solidarity for initiatives like
the Ontario Common Front's economic disruption
campaign, or the recent squat project in Montreal;
- a respect for a diversity of tactics, and showing
solidarity with the full scope of resistance in our
- distrust and skepticism of lobbying efforts,
emphasizing instead grassroots organizing, popular
education and mobilizing;
- organizing in a non-hierarchical, anti-authoritarian
fashion, as well as within the framework of anti-oppression
analysis and action.
In addition to the political and organizing principles
outlined above, the organizers of the "Take the Capital!"
Consulta and Regional Assembly have adopted the hallmarks of
the Peoples' Global Action network (as modified and accepted at
Cochabamba, Bolivia in September 2001):
1. A very clear rejection of capitalism, imperialism
and feudalism; all trade agreements, institutions and
governments that promote destructive globalisation.
2. We reject all forms and systems of domination and
discrimination including, but not limited to, patriarchy,
racism and religious fundamentalism of all creeds. We
embrace the full dignity of all human beings.
3. A confrontational attitude, since we do not think
that lobbying can have a major impact in such biased
and undemocratic organisations, in which transnational
capital is the only real policy-maker;
4. A call to direct action and civil disobedience, support
for social movements' struggles, advocating forms of
resistance which maximize respect for life and oppressed
peoples' rights, as well as the construction of local
alternatives to global capitalism.
5. An organisational philosophy based on decentralisation
TAKE THE CAPITAL!
This is the OPIRGemail@example.com list. Announcement only please.
To unsubscribe, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and put
"unsubscribe" in the body.
Archive at: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/lists/html/opirg-events/