[OPIRG-EVENTS] PROTEST TO STOP THE CUTS TO HOME CARE FRIDAY, August 9th, 10:30 a.m.

AUGUST 8, 2002
                  FOR YOUR INFORMATION:

     P  R  E  S  S        R  E  L  E  A  S  E

PROTEST TO STOP THE CUTS TO HOME CARE
FRIDAY, August 9th, 10:30 a.m. to l2 noon
75 Albert Street, OTTAWA (Ontario Ministry of Health)

Please bring a sign with you.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:  Call Sue Clark (613)721-l833

 A report that went to the Health, Recreation and
Social Services Committee on June 20th provided
figures on how many people are affected by the home
care cuts.  According to the report 5,900 people in
Ottawa who are currently receiving homemaking services
are to be reassessed and will have lose their
      housekeeping services unless they qualify for
personal care or the new very narrow criteria which
houskeeping will be provided.  Some of the 5,900 will
be eligible for personal care (things like assistance
to bathe) but they no longer will receive help with
house cleaning tasks like shopping, meal preparation,
laundry, vacuuming, washing floors, mending/ironing
and cleaning fridge/stove.
 Effective April 5, 2002, the Ottawa Community Care
Access Centre (CCAC) changed the criteria related to
homemaking and advised clients that homemaking will
only be provided related to safety and hygiene.
 CCAC indicated that 400 clients are currenly on a
waiting list for personal care.
I called the Ottawa Community Care Access Centre
(CCAC) on August 6 and spoke to Helen McKenna.  I told
her I needed housekeeping/homecare services.  I have
severe arthritis in my knees and hips.  I use a
walker.  She informed me as of two months ago,
housekeeping/homecare services are no longer provided
by the CCAC.  I do not qualify for personal care.
Personal care consists of speech therapy, occupational
therapy, physiotherapy and a social worker for a
crisis for people who are house
bound.

                  It is not fair and right that these
people's home care is threatened and many will lose
their homemaking.  Our Coalition to Stop the Home Care
Cuts wants the Ontario Ministry of Health to reinstate
funding for home care.

Everyone person in Ottawa who needs home care should
be able to have access to it.Many people will suffer
when these cuts take place.  Their health, hygiene and
quality of life will be affected.

                      - 30 -