[OPIRG-EVENTS] Direct Action Case Work Meeting Wednesday

Hello,

a short note to let you all know that the next meeting
for the direct action casework group will be on Wednesday
September 4th at 6:30 at Dundonald Park [Somerset and
Lyon].

At our last meeting we discsussed putting together a series
of information/training sessions beginning in late September
for people interested in direct action casework [either to do
this work or be supported by it], as well as putting together
forms for cases, and creating a cheat sheet of sorts for
contact information [local Citizenship and Immigration Centre,
rental tribunal, legal aid, etc.]. We also discussed setting up
a phone line, and logistics around that.

There is certainly a need for direct action casework in Ottawa.
According to the Ontario Coalition Against the Tories, there
are 100 landlord applications for evictions on a weekly basis
in Ottawa.  As well, at any one time there are usually 10-12
refugees and immigrants detained [likely at the Ottawa-Carleton
Detention Centre on Innes Road].

We've been in contact with groups that have experience in direct
action casework or similar work [e.g.  Ontario Coalition Against
Poverty and Ottawa's Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation]
for advice.  As well, in assessing the situation for immigrants
and refugees [such as deportation, detention, access to legal aid]
we have been in contact with various groups in town that offer
settlement services.  Overall, people from these groups have expressed
a need for direct action casework in Ottawa.

If you are interested, please come out to the next meeting.  If you cannot
make it, please get in touch with me.

brenda
231-4567