[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[OPIRG-EVENTS] Meeting of Ottawa and Gatineau area anti-capitalists
Anti-Capitalist Community Action(ACA) General Meeting
Time: October 3, 2002 7pm
Place: Jack Purcell Community Centre
Who: all Ottawa and Gatineau area anti-capitalists
Come find out about how you can get involved in our current projects or
propose new ones. Help fight capitalism and imperialism in our
What is ACA?
Anti-Capitalist Community Action (ACA) is an Ottawa and Gatineau
based group focusing on local struggles and global struggles against
capitalism and imperialism. ACA works in solidarity with other groups
such as the Ottawa Coalition Against the Tories (OCAT) and TAO
Communications. We support a diversity of tactics and we have adopted
the hallmarks of the Peoples' Global Action <http://www.agp.org>.
Basis of Unity
As a starting framework, ACA has adopted the People's Global Action*
hallmarks as our basis of unity:
1. A very clear rejection of capitalism, imperialism and feudalism; all
trade agreements, institutions and governments that promote destructive
2. We reject all forms and systems of domination and discrimination
including, but not limited to, patriarchy, racism and religious
fundamentalism of all creeds. We embrace the full dignity of all human
3. A confrontational attitude, since we do not think that lobbying can
have a major impact in such biased and undemocratic organizations, in
which transnational capital is the only real policy-maker;
4. A call to direct action and civil disobedience, support for social
movements' struggles, advocating forms of resistance which maximize
respect for life and oppressed peoples' rights, as well as the
construction of local alternatives to global capitalism.
5. An organizational philosophy based on decentralization and autonomy.
Some of ACA's Projects
We have a number of projects you can get involved with:
* Housing Actions. ACA was one of the groups responsible for the squat
action at 246 Gilmour Street. More militant housing actions are planned
for the future.
* Copwatch. Street level monitoring of police treatment of the homeless
and vulnerable members of our society. Help us document and stop police
brutality in Ottawa.
* Popular Education. There are plans for a series of talks and workshops
starting in the fall to educate the public about the issues which
* Self-Education. We offered French lessons for activists in August. We
are also planning an anti-oppression workshop for activists.
* Direct action casework. We are working with the Ottawa Coalition
Against the Tories (OCAT) on developing a program of direct action
casework to prevent evictions and deportations. This strategy has been
used very successfully by groups like the Ontario Coalition Against
Poverty. Direct action gets the goods!
This is the OPIRGemail@example.com list. Announcement only please.
To unsubscribe, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and put
"unsubscribe" in the body.
Archive at: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/lists/html/opirg-events/