[OPIRG-EVENTS] NOWAR/PAIX march this Saturday

The Network to Oppose War and Racism (NOWAR/PAIX) is
continuing their weekly marches. At the moment the
group is concentrating on the escalating war against
Iraq.

We meet at 12:00pm at the corner of York and Sussex in
the market on Saturdays. This week we will give out
information, advertising the teach-in at Carleton and
standing as a visible defiance of the pressure for
Canada to support the immoral attack on 22 million
Iraqis.  This war is about building an empire, and we
are not alone in seeing that the Emperor has no cloths
– it is important to show our fellow citizens they too
are not alone. Our flyers will have an invite to the
teach-in on Sunday.  The final agenda for Sunday is
below.
Teach-in: War on Iraq? Not if we can help it!
Programme
Sunday, 3 November; Carleton University
Ottawa Iraq Anti-War Action Committee

2:00 to 3:15	Panel Discussion, facilitated by Soha
Kneen
(101 Azrieli Pavilion)

Bahija Reghai (to be confirmed), "The war on the
people of Iraq"
Richard Sanders, "Reasons for the war on Iraq"
(Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade)
Steven Staples, "Globalisation and militarisation"
(Polaris Institute)
Kai Frithjof Brand-Jacobsen, "Effective strategies for
building alternatives, locally and globally"
(TRANSCEND and PATRIR)

3:30 to 4:30	Action/information workshops (concurrent)

"Collateral damage"?? Depleted uranium and cluster
bombs (234 Azrieli Pavilion)
with Louise Richard (nurse who served with the
Canadian army during the Gulf War) on impact of
depleted uranium; and Celina Tuttle on cluster bombs
(Mines Action Canada)
Depleted uranium weapons and cluster bombs have been
used by US in all its recent wars, leaving behind a
legacy of destruction and death for years to come.
Information on the impact of these weapons and
campaigns to oppose them.

Sanctions-busting date campaign (301 Dunton Tower)
lead by Ali Amine, Voices of Peace
Iraqi dates are famous for their sweetness – and
illegal under the sanctions on Iraq. Find out about
the sanctions and how you can help to sell dates from
Iraq, in a campaign which involves civil disobedience
of the sweetest kind.

Building local support for resistance movements in
Iraq: the Iraq Peace Teams (132 Azrieli Pavilion)
lead by Elias Assad and Mary Foster, with input from
Eric Schiller (volunteer with International Solidarity
Movement in Palestine)
Teams of internationals are forming to go to Iraq to
deter aggression by the US and UK, living among the
Iraqi people as human shields. Learn more about the
initiative and discuss how we can support them with
media and other work here in Ottawa.

Radical cheerleading! (302 Dunton Tower)
lead by the Radical Cheerleaders, an OPIRG Carleton
Working Group
Cultural subversion! Learn how to inspire resistance
to the war, and help develop a cheer for N17.

Nonviolent Civil Disobedience, A force more powerful
(303 Dunton Tower)
lead by Kai Frithjof Brand-Jacobsen, TRANSCEND
Workshop on developing concrete strategies and
approaches for direct non-violent action and
resistance to war, raising awareness, mobilizing
broad-based coalitions, and empowering people for
direct democracy.

Prop-making for N17: Puppets, banners, creative
things! (101 Azrieli Pavilion)
lead by Anxiety Performance, an OPIRG Carleton working
group
Hands on workshop for people wanting to get down to
work, and have some fun!

Rooting out hypocrisy: weapons inspection action (305
Dunton Tower)
lead by OPIRG Carleton
What about those weapons of mass destruction
immediately to our south?? Help plan Ottawa support
for the "Rooting out evil" action, which involves
sending weapons inspectors to the US. And what about
our own little Canadian contributions to the arms
trade??

5:00 to 6:00  	Coordinating meeting for 17 November
rally
(101 Azrieli Pavilion)