[OPIRG-EVENTS] Event: Ursula Franklin, "Research as a Social Enterprise: Are We Asking The Right Questions?"

Ursula Franklin is a force to be reckoned with
and she will unleash that force when she delivers
the Royal Society Lecture at Carleton University
on Wednesday, November 6.

The topic of her speech is "Research as a Social
Enterprise: Are We Asking The Right Questions?"

Dr. Franklin is a renowned scientist, educator,
and humanitarian who has received the highest
honours for her work on metals and alloys and on
the history and social impact of technology. She
is a Companion of the Order of Canada and a
Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada. Throughout
her career, she has dared to speak about issues
where science has found itself on a collision
course with human values and community living. In
her lecture at Carleton University, she will
examine the overall assumptions that underlie
much of scientific research and the social
sciences.

"Ursula Franklin is a radical scientist in the
true sense of the word," says Dr. Pat Smart,
Chair of the Women in Scholarship Committee of
the Royal Society of Canada and Chancellor's
Professor at Carleton University. "She has an
uncanny ability to make us see the implications
underlying the assumptions we make in our
research and to inspire us to do something about
what we find. She's an important role model for
women scholars and it's a great honour to have
her speak at Carleton."

Dr. Franklin will be speaking on Wednesday,
November 6 at 4:30 p.m. in Room 5050 of the Minto
Centre.

For more information:
Dr. Pat Smart
Chair, Women in Scholarship Committee, Royal
Society of Canada
Chancellor's Professor, Carleton University
520-2600 ext. 2182 or 232-3063