[OPIRG-EVENTS] reminder - 18 January March against the war on Iraq

+++please circulate widely, post, add to events listings, announce! please
come and bring a friend!++++

Join the January 18th International Day of Action Against War on Iraq

>>>Protests across Canada and the U.S., Egypt, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Japan,
Indonesia, Britain, Germany, Austria, Russia, Pakistan ... and counting!
>>>Endorsed as a cross-Canada day of action against the war by the the
Canadian Labour Congress, the Canadian Network to End Sanctions in Iraq
(CANESI), the Canadian Peace Alliance and the United Church of Canada

In Ottawa, on Saturday, 18 January
gather at 2:00 pm on Parliament Hill, Ottawa
to MARCH FOR PEACE and AGAINST WAR on Iraq

And to insist that Canada:
- provide no support of any kind for military action against the Iraqi
people;
- make a clear statement of opposition to any escalated war on the Iraqi
people, whether or not sanctioned by the UN; and
- end Canada's complicity in the ongoing, undeclared war against the Iraqi
people.

Having reclaimed Parliament on November 17, we will convene on Parliament
Hill on January 18 to form a "Peace Army" mandated to stop the war.  Please
come and bring your signs and banners, balloons, drums, puppets, diverse
"peace army" uniforms ("diversiforms"), theatre, and diverse messages in
support of peace and against the war!

On Parliament Hill, we will be joined by the Global Peace Coalition march
from Ottawa University (more information: fcarv036@uottawa.ca, tel 235 6919,
http://gpcoalition.tripod.com).

We will proceed together (don't come late!) to the US Embassy, where we will
"die" for a few minutes to symbolise the people in Iraq who have died as a
result of the sanctions and bombing since 1990; and the people who will die
if the war proceeds.

From there, all who wish will proceed to the Department of National Defence,
where we will witness and support the nonviolent Strategic Peace Action Team
"pre-emptively arrest" senior officials for suspected involvement in
planning acts of terror against the people of Iraq.

All are invited to convene afterwards for food, music, debriefing, and
discussion of next steps to oppose the war (location TBA, open from 3:20
pm).

More information:
Committee for Peace in Iraq
ottawairaqaction@hotmail.com, tel 523 1077, http://www.nowar-paix.ca
to join the organising listserv, send a blank email to
cpi-org-subscribe@topica.com

Endorsed by:
Committee for Peace in Iraq
Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE)
Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW)
NOWAR-PAIX
Action santé Outaouais
Raging Grannies
New Politics Initiative-Ottawa
Green Party of Canada
Solidarite Outaouais Palestine
Muslim Students' Federation
Ottawa and District Labour Council
Rosa Luxemburg Club - Communist Party of Canada (Ottawa)
... and more every day!
More information on anti-war organising,
in Ottawa:  www.nowar-paix.ca/  and http://gpcoalition.tripod.com
in Canada: www.canesi.org and www.acp-cpa.ca
in USA: www.nonviolence.org/vitw/ and www.unitedforpeace.org