[OPIRG-EVENTS] People's Summit on Health Care

Dear friends,
An exciting national gathering of health care activists will take place in Ottawa in early February, and we hope you can join us!
This national event consists of three parts: a one-day policy forum on February 7, a two-day activist conference February 8 and 9, and an action on February 10. You are invited to join any or all three of these events, and you'll find more information in the attached flyer.
The People's Summit on Health Care, February 8-9, is being organized by a spectrum of national organizations advocating for Medicare, and we want to draw activists from a broad range of labour and community organizations. This is a critical time to converge, building on health care coalition campaigns across the country, developing a solid and focused plan of action with national priorities and tactics.
We came together for a national conference in October 2001, where we defined our vision for Medicare, and we are coming together now to develop concrete strategies for achieving that vision, taking advantage of Romanow's report and current political opportunities. We have a strong foundation of campaigns; this gathering is a chance to focus our strategy nationally, to attract and inspire activists, and to identify concrete targets and actions for mobilizing together.
In an effort to make this gathering accessible to a diversity of groups, there will be some subsidies for travel and accommodation. If you require a subsidy, please indicate this when you register.
To register, contact Nancy Campbell (Tel: 613-237-1590; e-mail: nacampbell@cupe.ca). You can also register online at www.canadians.org
Please circulate this notice to organizations and individuals in your own networks!
Concerned about the future of health care?
Mark these dates on your calendar!
The coming months are critical to the future of health care in Canada. Community groups, unions and health activists have been meeting to develop a number of events in Ottawa in February 2003 that will help mobilize citizens and communities across the country.
Policy Forum: Securing the Future of Public Health Care
Friday February 7th, 2003
Join national and international speakers in a Forum that will provide up-to-date analysis on key health reform issues. Learn about:
-- Implications of recent decisions and recommendations on pharmacare, homecare, privatization, financing and accountability.
-- Current analysis on key themes and issues

Evening Event: Stand up for Health Care: A Citizens' Celebration
Friday February 7th,   7:30 p.m.
Speakers and musicians will pay tribute to our health care system. Guests include: Maude Barlow (Author, Profit Is Not the Cure), Judy Darcy (President, CUPE), Shirley Douglas (Spokesperson, Canadian Health Coalition), Nancy White (Singer/Songwriter), Dr. Claudia Fegan (US Physicians for a National Health Program), the Baobob Drummers...and more! Hosted by activist and performer Greg Malone
The People's Summit on Health Care: Two-day Activist Conference
Saturday, February 8th (9 am start) - Sunday, February 9th (ending at 1 pm)
Join hundreds of activists from across the country as we share information on current health care campaigns and build a united action plan. In a combination of plenary and workshops, participants will:
	*	Adopt a national Plan of Action for defending and expanding Canada's Medicare system, building on existing campaigns and the Canadian Health Coalition October 2001 "Call to Care"
	*	Develop a common response to Romanow and the Premiers' Summit, and to intensifying privatization pressures
	*	Strengthen connections between health care activists at the provincial and national levels
	*	Share campaign tactics and develop skills to advance our Plan of Action

To register or for further information contact Nancy Campbell at 613-237-1590 nacampbell@cupe.ca or visit www.canadians.org to register on-line.
The People's Summit is being organized by the Canadian Union of Public Employees, the Canadian Labour Congress, the Canadian Health Coalition, the National Anti-Poverty Organization, the Council of Canadians and others.