[OPIRG-EVENTS] Health Care on the Line - "Health for All" world premier

You are invited to attend the Ottawa Chapter of the Council of
Canadians' special healthcare meeting at
7:00 pm, Thursday, 23 January,
Room 201, Jack Purcell Community Centre,
off Elgin Street south of Gilmour.

Meeting will feature the world premier of the Chapter's video, "Health
for All," a 30-minute power walk through the health care emergency we
face today.

Plans for the upcoming National Days of Action (details below) and what
you can do for healthcare this week

* * * * * * *

Following last week’s announcement of the Premiers’ meeting on January
23rd in Toronto and the First Ministers’ Conference in Ottawa on
February 4th and 5th, the Council of Canadians is asking its 100,000
members to organize National Days of Action between these two meetings.

"Roy Romanow has done his part, Medicare's fate is now in our hands,"
says Maude Barlow, the Council’s National Chairperson. "We must not
allow the premiers or the prime minister to think that Canadians will be
satisfied with more cash and mere cosmetic changes," said Barlow.
“Romanow laid out the groundwork for real reform including expanding
Medicare and demanding accountability from the provinces. Canadians and
our prime minister must not settle for less."

The plan outlined by the Council calls for rallies at the Toronto and
Ottawa meetings, as well as a letter, phone and fax campaign to the
premiers and prime minister. These will be followed by a policy
conference organized by the Council of Canadians and the Canadian Centre
for Policy Alternatives on February 7th and an activists’ summit on the
8th and 9th of February. At these events domestic and international
experts will examine the federal-provincial plan and activists will
mobilize to ensure public health care is strengthened and enhanced.

"Tens of thousands of Canadians supported the Romanow Commission’s work
and the report reflects the values of Canadians," says Barlow. "The vast
majority of Canadians support the recommendations of the Commission,
politicians ignore them at their own peril."
http://www.canadians.org/display_document.htm?COC_token=1@@8abfca28b823f8d877ee5d45a00f34f9&id=517&isdoc=1&catid=52