[OPIRG-EVENTS] David Orchard announces 2nd PC leadership bid, Ottawa/Mo Tuesday

Subject: PC Leadership...one in...one out
    Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:06:50 -0500
   From:  "Beardsley, Keith"

Ottawa and Montréal:
David Orchard to launch his candidacy for the leadership of the
Progressive Conservative Party of Canada at

9:30 AM
Tuesday 21 January 2003 in
The National Press Theatre
150 Wellington Street
Ottawa, and at

2:30 PM
Tuesday 21 January 2003 at
The Montréal Office of
Campagne Orchard Campaign
3434 Côte-des-Neiges
Montréal.

David, a fourth generation Saskatchewan farmer, author of the best
selling
The Fight for Canada, and the runner-up to Joe Clark in 1998, will meet
the
media in Ottawa and Montréal to officially kick off his campaign for the

leadership of his party.

During the two parts of the launch, David will talk about his commitment
Canada and to the historic principles of the Progressive Conservative
Party,
and about how the renewal of national government based on those
principles
is essential to the preservation of our country and the values upon
which it
is based. He will also deal, as he did in the 1998 campaign,
forthrightly
and clearly with the media's questions.

The Ottawa/Montréal meetings with the press begin a national campaign
aimed
at continuing the rebuilding of the party and accelerating the pace of
the
long march back to power.
-30-

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
Gerry Valiquette - 514.913.0246 TBC
Rose-Marie Larsson - 604.215.5580
Web site - www.davidorchard.com
_______

Meanwhile at the other end of the spectrum ...

Segal decides against Tory leadership bid and will back MacKay
Canadian Press

Monday, 20 January, 2003 - Page A4

KINGSTON, Ont. -- Hugh Segal, the chief of staff and policy adviser to
former prime minister Brian Mulroney, says he won't take another run for
the
Progressive Conservative leadership.

"I think it's the right call for me and the party," Mr. Segal said
yesterday
in an interview with The Kingston Whig-Standard. "I think they're
looking
for a clear break from the past."

Mr. Segal, who was defeated by Joe Clark in the 1998 Tory leadership
race,
says he's supporting Nova Scotia MP Peter MacKay's bid this time.

Pointing to the relative youth of Canadian Alliance Leader Stephen
Harper,
who is 43, Mr. Segal, 52, said Canadian politics is in the midst of a
generational change and he feels a youthful leader who lacks any
connection
to internal battles of the past will be a good thing for his party.

Prime Minister Jean Chrétien is 69, and the man expected to replace him,

former finance minister Paul Martin, will also soon be a senior citizen.

"I think the politics of the country is pretty fluid right now," Mr.
Segal
said.

He said those who wanted him to take a shot at the leadership approached
him
through e-mails, delegations, telephone calls and some members of the
Tory
caucus.

"It's always a tough call when people are sincere" with their offers of
support, he said.

Mr. Segal, who became a Tory after hearing John Diefenbaker give a
speech at
his Montreal high school in the 1960s, is one of Canada's better known
Conservatives.

He served Mr. Mulroney in the early 1990s and began working for former
Ontario premier Bill Davis at the age of 24.

In the latter role, he was active in the patriation of the Constitution
from
Britain in 1981-82.

Mr. Segal said that as he grappled with the leadership decision, he
spoke
many times in recent weeks to Mr. Davis, who "was very, very
enthusiastic."

The bilingual Mr. Segal, a moderate [sic] on the Tory spectrum, is also
political commentator.

Keith Beardsley
Manager
PC Research and Communications
PC Party Leader's Office
Tel: 613-947-4558
Fax: 613-947-7321
"Parliament is more than procedure - it is the custodian of the nation's
freedom."
Rt. Hon. John Diefenbaker - 22 September, 1949, House of Commons.