[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[OPIRG-EVENTS] Potluck for Peace with David Swann - Thurs. Feb. 6 @ 6:30 pm
My apologies for cross-posting - please distribute
Join the Committee for Peace in Iraq at a
POTLUCK for PEACE
Meet David Swann (bio at end)
- hear about his recent mission to Iraq
- see his slides!
Hear about Ottawa's ongoing efforts to oppose the rush to war
Eat some fabulous food!
Thursday, February 6, 2003
6:30 - 9:00 pm (or to whenever the chatting stops)
Church of the Ascension
253 Echo Dr.
Beside Immaculata High School
(between Main St. & Colonel By Dr. - near Pretoria Bridge)
ALL ARE WELCOME!!!!
People are asked to, if possible, bring a favorite food dish and a financial
nb - recognizing that many people have particular dietary considerations
please, if you bring food, note on the dish the ingredients.
> EMERGENCY PLANS in case of an Invasion of Iraq:
> On the day that the bombs begin falling, please meet at 5:30 pm at the
> eternal flame on Parliament Hill for a rally. People may be proceeding
> from there to the U.S. embassy.
David Swann MD, FRCP(C)
Public Health Specialist
626 3rd Ave NW
* David is married to Laureen Ross and lives in Calgary since 1985. He
is father of three young adult children.
* David traveled soon after graduation from Medicine in 1975 to South
Africa, working in Christian missions there for 3 years before returning to
Canada to practice Family Medicine in rural Alberta (Pincher Creek) for 7
* In 1985 he returned to Calgary to specialize in Public Health at the
University of Calgary and subsequently worked in Primary Health Care in the
Philippines under a CIDA project.
* Since then he has worked as Medical Officer of Health for various
regions including Calgary, Palliser, East Central, and Headwaters.
* He is Associate Clinical Professor of Community Medicine at U of C
where he assists with undergraduate and graduate medical students.
* David traveled to Iraq in 2000 with an American delegation under
Ramsey Clark (former Attorney General under Lyndon Johnson) and witnessed
the deprivation of people and destruction of environment there due to war
* He is co-founder (with Dr. Arthur Clark) of the Canadian Network to
End Sanctions on Iraq (Calgary) in 2001 and has been active in this,
including a trip to Iraq in November/02 to assess the emergency (disaster)
capacity in relation to possible war.
* His report (along with Dr. Amir Khadir of Montreal) - Dying for
Peace - outlines the danger of such a war. He has become an outspoken critic
of US foreign policy on Iraq and spoken across the country on various media.
* He will be speaking in Eastern Canada in early February/03 on issues
facing Canada in the lead up to war.
National Union of Public and General Employees
15 Auriga Drive, Nepean, ON, Canada, K2E 1B7
(613) 228-9800 / (613) 228-9801 (fax)
email@example.com / www.nupge.ca
This is the OPIRGfirstname.lastname@example.org list. Participatory activist events only.
To unsubscribe, send email to email@example.com, and put
"unsubscribe" in the body.
Archive at: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/lists/html/opirg-events/