[OPIRG-EVENTS] International Women's Day

Hello Everyone:

Please come out to our rally and information fair, tomorrow, March 8
International Women's Day from 1 to 5 P.M. at Ottawa city hall.

the rally has the theme "Visions of Peace".  The main program offers:  a
presentation from Mrs. Homa Arjmand, from the International Campaign for the
Defense of Women's Rights in Iran and a Francophone presentation from Ms.
Josiane Désilets, a peace activist and Senior analyst at Status of Women
Canada. their speeches will be followed by a short dramatic presentation by
a group from the Baha'i Faith and an open mic segment where women from the
audience can make their own statement on peace.

Following the main rally, there will be some fabulous local entertainment
scheduled throughout the afternoon as women visit the display tables of
women's organizations and women entrepeneurs selling their products or
promoting their services. So, come on out and support these hard working
women.

down the hall from the main event, we have two workshops scheduled.  the
first at 2 P.M., entitled: "Manifesting the Godess Within", facilitated by
Chan Madhavi Jadoonath, a teacher at Algonquin College will I'm sure be a
popular item.

following chan's workshop, there is a second offered entitled "finding Your
Passion", facilitated by Vera Nicholas-gervais, a Personal Coach for women.
this will get under way at 3:15 P.M.  vera will be looking at how we set
goals as women and how we can move toward accomplishing them.

An associated event, an anti-war march, organized by the Committee on Peace
in Iraq, in tribute to International Women's Day has been scheduled in
advance of our activity.  It will begin at the Women's Monument at 11:30
A.M. at the corner of Elgin and Gilmour Streets, advance up Elgin to the
U.S. Embassy where marchers will surround the embassy in a symbolic gesture
of isolation where they will have a few short speeches.  It will then
proceed to end at the Human Rights Monument at Elgin and Lisgar, next to
City Hall.   Although we have not organized this event, we have coordinated
timing of the activities so women can participate in both.

I invite you all to come out and celebrate International Women's Day.  If
you have any questions, please call 230-6700.

Valerie Collicott
Ottawa Organizing Committee for IWD

-
This is the OPIRG-events@ox.org list. Participatory activist events only.