[OPIRG-EVENTS] Ottawa mtg April 1 "Close Canada's Largest Weapons Fair"

There is an Ottawa meeting for folks who would like to take part in or
support the Homes not Bombs action - trying to Close Canada's Largest
Weapons Fair, CANSEC 2003, where you will find your "One-stop shopping
across the entire warfare spectrum."
Contact wrench_works@yahoo.ca for more info

 >------------------------------
 >Organizing Meeting:
 >Tuesday April 1st at 7:00 p.m.
 >123 Simard, University of Ottawa.
 >--------------------------------
 >
 >There are two type of organizing that we must do ­
 >
 >1) Ottawa area participants must form their affinity groups. These are
groups of individuals who have an affinity in how they would like to
participate and do so together.
 >2) As the call out indicates, there are many folks coming from different
cities. Ottawa, however, is the location of the action and so some support
must be organized here. Below is a list of support that must be organized
and progress on them so far. We are
 >looking for groups or individuals who would like to organize any element
of this support:

 >CANSEC task list for Ottawa groups
 >- scouting (Some started)
 >- food (needs to be organized)
 >- jail and legal support (LSO has been approached to consider this)
 >- scenario workshop and jail support registration night before
 >- medical (Some work started)
 >- billeting (A church has already been booked for sleeping)
 >- translation (Needs to be organized)
 >- public education and outreach in Ottawa (Some started)
 >- prep workshops for Ottawa affinity group(s) (discuss at meeting)
 >- Ottawa city council action(s) (discuss at meeting)
 >- creating Ottawa action(s) (eg blockade? internal disruption??
 >
 >Please contact wrench_works@yahoo.ca if you would like to work on one of
these support tasks, or if a group you are part of would like to organize
one element. (For example, one church is doing the billeting.) Work >on
support can and has started before this meeting.

> [...]
 >(514) 521-5252, in Kitchener-Waterloo at 745-9006, in
 >Windsor (519) 258-1555
 >
 >A southern Ontario bus will leave on the morning of Wednesday, April
 >9, returning the evening of Thursday, April 10. Return tickets $40
 >includes food and overnight accommodation (if you
 >cannot attend but would like to subsidize a bus seat
 >or two, cheques can be made out to Homes not Bombs and
 >sent to PO Box 73620, 509 St. Clair Ave. West,
 >Toronto, ON M6C 1C0)
 >
 >WHAT IS CANSEC?
 >CANSEC is the largest annual exhibition of the weapons of war and
 >repression in Canada, hosted at the Ottawa Congress Centre in "an
 >informative and entertaining environment." CANSEC
 >represents the extent to which Canada profits from
 >war, domestic repression and inhuman border policies,
 >and how this axis of evil is used to protect the
 >interests of the wealthy few.
 >
 >CANSEC exhibitors include the largest weapons firms in Canada's
 >$5-billion-a-year war industry, including the branch plants of the
 >U.S.' leading arms manufacturers, as well as companies
 >devoted to producing ever more insidious technology of
 >surveillance, infiltration, disruption and control.
 >
 >Hence, CANSEC is intended for everyone from warriors intent on
 >bombing other countries into market submission to
 >those who would spy on people from Arabic and/or
 >Middle Eastern background here in Canada, those who
 >are intent on producing further intrusive border
 >mechanisms to halt the flow of immigrants and
 >refugees, and those who would use night vision
 >equipment, for example, to repress First Nations at
 >Burnt Church trying to exercise control over their waters.
 >
 >Invitees include all NATO nations, as well as CSIS, the RCMP, Dept.
 >of Fisheries and Oceans, War Dept. personnel and Canadian Forces,
 >Transport Canada, Immigration, Parliamentarians,
 >Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade,
 >and Trade Team members who wish to sell weapons abroad.
 >
 >CANSEC promises one-stop shopping for "The requirements of the
 >Canadian Forces, across the entire warfare spectrum
 >and in recognition of the evolving battle space,"
 >which includes space warfare, hi-tech command and
 >control systems, and "interoperability" technology to
 >become further embedded with U.S. forces.
 >
 >Iraq is the latest testing ground for new generations of weapons and
 >weapons systems, such as Wescam's Predator targetting system, slated
 >to be the "superstar" of the escalation. These weapons dealers will be
 >eagerly watching what is taking place in Iraq as part of their sales
 >campaigns for "the next one."
 >
 >Visit the website at www.cdia.ca and click on events for a complete
 >List of companies involved at CANSEC and more details.
 >Details on the show are at
 >https://www.cdia.ca/newsite/webpages/Events/C.htm
 >
 >Stay in touch with Homes not Bombs via tasc@web.ca (and yes, one of
 >these days we will have our own website, we're working on it!)

for more info contact wrench_works@yahoo.ca

this email was forwarded to you by:

Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade (COAT)
(A network of individuals and NGOs across Canada and around the world)
Email: ad207@ncf.ca  Web: http://www.ncf.ca/coat

Press for Conversion!
Read the Jan. 2003 issue of our quarterly magazine on:
"Going to War: The American use of War Pretext Incidents"
http://www.ncf.ca/coat/our_magazine/links/issue50/issue50.htm

Read the Oct. 2002 issue online: "Real Reasons for the Invasion of Iraq"
http://www.ncf.ca/coat/our_magazine/links/issue49/issue49.htm

Our next issue will focus on U.S.-backed regime changes, wars, military
and CIA operations in the Middle East & North Africa since WWII.

To join our list serve on the Afghan and Iraq wars, the war on terrorism
and the criminalisation of dissent, send the message:
subscribe no_to_nato     to     <majordomo@flora.org>
To see the archives at http://www.flora.org/coat/forum/

Endorse COAT's online Global Appeal/Pledge of Nonviolence. About 17,000
people, from 122 countries have signed so far. The appeal/pledge is
available in 18 languages.
http://www.flora.org/coat/appeal/

If you'd prefer not to receive emails from COAT,
just respond to this email with REMOVE in the subject line.

-
This is the OPIRG-events@ox.org list. Participatory activist events only.