[OPIRG-EVENTS] reminder: Thurs May 15th Anti-capitalist Community Action (ACA) General Assembly

Anti-capitalist Community Action (ACA) General Assembly

Time: Thursday May 15 @ 7PM
Place: Room 101, Jack Purcell Community Centre, 320 Elgin Street

All are welcome!

What is ACA?

Anti-capitalist Community Action (ACA) is an Ottawa and Gatineau based
group focusing on local struggles and global struggles against capitalism
and imperialism. ACA works in solidarity with other groups such as the
Ottawa Coalition Against the Tories (OCAT) and TAO Communications.  We
support a diversity of tactics and we have adopted the hallmarks of the
Peoples' Global Action <http://www.agp.org>.

Basis of Unity

As a starting framework, ACA has adopted the People's Global Action*
hallmarks as our basis of unity:

1.  A very clear rejection of capitalism, imperialism and feudalism; all
trade agreements, institutions and governments that promote destructive
globalization.

2.  We reject all forms and systems of domination and discrimination
including, but not limited to, patriarchy, racism and religious
fundamentalism of all creeds. We embrace the full dignity of all human
beings.

3.   A confrontational attitude, since we do not think that lobbying can
have a major impact in such biased and undemocratic organizations, in which
transnational capital is the only real policy-maker;

4.  A call to direct action and civil disobedience, support for social
movements' struggles, advocating forms of resistance which maximize respect
for life and oppressed peoples' rights, as well as the construction of
local alternatives to global capitalism.

5.  An organizational philosophy based on decentralization and autonomy.

Some of ACA's Projects

We have a number of projects you can get involved with:

* Direct Action Casework Ottawa. We are working on developing a program of
direct action casework to prevent deportations and evictions. This strategy
has been used successfully by the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty. Direct
action gets the goods!

* Popular Education. We are doing a series of Free Schools, talks and
workshops to educate the public and ourselves about the issues which
concern us.

* Copwatch. Street level monitoring of police treatment of the homeless and
vulnerable members of our society. Help us document and stop police
brutality in Ottawa.

* Latin American Solidarity. We will be building links with the local Latin
American community as well as connecting with anti-capitalist struggles
throughout the hemisphere.

* Housing Issues. ACA was one of the groups responsible for the squat
action at 246 Gilmour Street. More militant housing actions are planned for
the future.
-
This is the OPIRG-events@ox.org list. Participatory activist events only.