[OPIRG-EVENTS] Oct.3-5 - Teach-In: Whose police? Our police!

 Whose police? Our police!
         Citizen power, community control   -   An Ottawa Teach-In

 The Issues:
In everyday life, citizens may face police who treat them
arbitrarily, even with violence. What recourse do we have?

 Questions :
What should the community expect of the police? How do we hold
them accountable? What recourse do we have?

 The Teach-in:
Over three days, community leaders, experts, and participants will examine:
· What we expect of police - the law, policy, community, roles
          and the media;
· Best practices - citizen expectations & empowerment;
· Networking and action - building community action and influence on
          our policing.
. Speakers confirmed include: Judy Rebick, John Sewell and John Baglow.

 When?  Fri. October 3 (evg), Sat. 4th (all day), Sun. 5th (a.m.)

 The Approach:
· Three keynote speakers, informal discussion, reception (Friday)
· Two panels - issues and best practices (Saturday)
· Focus groups on major questions (Saturday)
· Reporting and discussion for action (Sunday)
· Networking, social (throughout)

 Who are the organizers?   The Ottawa Witness Group, a volunteer community
association that audits police behaviour

 Is there a cost?   Donations according to means are welcome

 Contact us at:  < witnessgroup@rogers.com> to indicate interest, for
location and other final details.