[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[OPIRG-EVENTS] Oct.3-5 - Teach-In: Whose police? Our police!
Whose police? Our police!
Citizen power, community control - An Ottawa Teach-In
In everyday life, citizens may face police who treat them
arbitrarily, even with violence. What recourse do we have?
What should the community expect of the police? How do we hold
them accountable? What recourse do we have?
Over three days, community leaders, experts, and participants will examine:
· What we expect of police - the law, policy, community, roles
and the media;
· Best practices - citizen expectations & empowerment;
· Networking and action - building community action and influence on
. Speakers confirmed include: Judy Rebick, John Sewell and John Baglow.
When? Fri. October 3 (evg), Sat. 4th (all day), Sun. 5th (a.m.)
· Three keynote speakers, informal discussion, reception (Friday)
· Two panels - issues and best practices (Saturday)
· Focus groups on major questions (Saturday)
· Reporting and discussion for action (Sunday)
· Networking, social (throughout)
Who are the organizers? The Ottawa Witness Group, a volunteer community
association that audits police behaviour
Is there a cost? Donations according to means are welcome
Contact us at: < email@example.com> to indicate interest, for
location and other final details.
This is the OPIRGfirstname.lastname@example.org list. Participatory activist events only.
To unsubscribe, send email to email@example.com, and put
"unsubscribe" in the body.
Archive at: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/lists/html/opirg-events/