Re: [transformative-change] An analysis of governance as a topic of study.

  [Brian, there were [K's at the end of each line. It also took me
awhile to figure out that you were writing the words that started with
':']

    Brian> : There are two points, however, which Russel brings up
    Brian> that I don't : agree with and would like to address. The
    Brian> first is the idea that we : as citizens no longer concern
    Brian> ourselves with geographic boundaries : and
    Brian> borders. Although we concern ourselves much less with where
    Brian> : the boundaries will be, it is of the utmost importance
    Brian> that we : concern ourselves with what these borders bring
    Brian> about, organizational : closure.

  One thing we can consider is simply moving the borders further
out. To span the planet. When we get a trade agreement like NAFTA,
there are two ways for the unions to react: protect local jobs, or
unionize the Mexicans. Levelling the playing field can mean that the
level is raised. This option seems to be frequently ignored.

    Brian> dynamics of one environment : to another. What is critical
    Brian> to the sustainability of any : living system is its ability
    Brian> to control what passes and what : does not pass through its
    Brian> semi-permeable barrier. We can think : of the cell wall as
    Brian> being the quintessential example of organizatinal :
    Brian> closure.

  The barriers need not physical anymore. You give the example of a
TNC that does business worldwide: in this case there are simply
"inside the TNC" and "outside the TNC" rather.

    Brian> : The second point concerns the idea that TNC's are
    Brian> extremely : centralized. Although the multinational
    Brian> corporations which : gave birth to the TNC's were, the rise
    Brian> of the digital economy : has enabled them to change their
    Brian> structure to something more : akin to an internetworked
    Brian> enterprise. For example, a car : company which has its

  In other words, they have already changed, and it is government
structure which is lagging. This is one reason why I think we need to
make sure that the other sectors of the economy (I can't recall
Rifkin's two other sectors. Social was one) leapfrog to the next
logical governing style.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network security programming, currently
   Michael Richardson | on contract with DataFellows F-Secure IPSec
 WWW: <A HREF="http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html">mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca</A>. PGP key available.
          Winner of the 1997 O.C.D.L.D.L.P. award.

====