SDSI and key distribution

On Fri, 3 May 1996, Raph Levien wrote:

>    My primary concern is the key distribution problem, by which I mean
> translating an e-mail address into a public key without manual
> intervention.

Perhaps this problem is not as important as you think.  Every e-mail
address you have must have come from somewhere.  For example the person
himself or a mutual friend gave it to you, or it came from a public
directory.  In any case, it would have been just as easy for this source
to instead give you a Principal: object (or a hash of a Principal:
object, from which your user agent can automaticly translate into a
Principal: object by doing a lookup in an (untrusted) public directory).

Wei Dai

Follow-Ups: References: