Re: USENIX PGP key signing service

At 02:20 PM 5/29/96 +1000, Greg Rose wrote:
>USENIX is setting up a PGP key-signing service,
>intended to go live at the 6th USENIX Security
>Symposium in July. A description of it is up on
>the Web at http://www.usenix.org/pgpkey.html .
>I'd appreciate any comments, particularly
>about the way we handle people who don't have
>their key fingerprints available at the time.

Greg,

        this effort mimics the X.509 CAs and has some of their flaws.

1.      There's no way specified for the user to know what USENIX certifies with that binding.  That is, PGP provides no Meaning field.  It could -- since USENIX could generate its own UserID for a key, giving the meaning "we saw 2 forms of ID for this USENIX member", and sign that -- but I tried that and the new Meaning non-user-ID showed up as the primary ID for the key once it was added to the PGP key server at MIT.  Bummer.

2.      The lack of global names isn't addressed.  At the least, we should find a way to implement a trial of the Rivest & Lampson SDSI.  This too could be accomplished if PGP were extended to have Meaning fields.  In that case, USENIX could sign an ID record of the form "I know this person as USENIX member Greg Rose".

3.      You have made no provision for verifying that the user whose key you're signing can, in fact, exerecise the associated private key.  You should include his signing a random challenge message in your presence as part of the process.

This can be done for a near-term experiment with UserID records.  However, a small change to PGP would allow it to be done right -- making a key signature record which carries its own meaning field.

There's another possibility.  USENIX could generate normal signed PGP messages of the form:

 - Carl
At 02:20 PM 5/29/96 +1000, Greg Rose wrote:
>USENIX is setting up a PGP key-signing service,
>intended to go live at the 6th USENIX Security
>Symposium in July. A description of it is up on
>the Web at http://www.usenix.org/pgpkey.html .
>I'd appreciate any comments, particularly
>about the way we handle people who don't have
>their key fingerprints available at the time.

Greg,

        this effort mimics the X.509 CAs and has some of their flaws.

1.      There's no way specified for the user to know what USENIX certifies
with that binding.  That is, PGP provides no Meaning field.  It could --
since USENIX could generate its own UserID for a key, giving the meaning "we
saw 2 forms of ID for this USENIX member", and sign that -- but I tried that
and the new Meaning non-user-ID showed up as the primary ID for the key once
it was added to the PGP key server at MIT.  Bummer.

2.      The lack of global names isn't addressed.  At the least, we should
find a way to implement a trial of the Rivest & Lampson SDSI.  This too
could be accomplished if PGP were extended to have Meaning fields.  In that
case, USENIX could sign an ID record of the form "I know this person as
USENIX member Greg Rose".

3.      You have made no provision for verifying that the user whose key
you're signing can, in fact, exerecise the associated private key.  You
should include his signing a random challenge message in your presence as
part of the process.

This can be done for a near-term experiment with UserID records.  However, a
small change to PGP would allow it to be done right -- making a key
signature record which carries its own meaning field.

There's another possibility.  USENIX could generate normal signed PGP
messages of the form:

 - Carl

|Carl M. Ellison          cme@cybercash.com   http://www.clark.net/pub/cme |
|CyberCash, Inc.                              http://www.cybercash.com/    |
|207 Grindall Street           PGP 2.6.2: 61E2DE7FCB9D7984E9C8048BA63221A2 |
|Baltimore MD 21230-4103       T:(410) 727-4288     F:(410)727-4293        |