Re: one possible motivation for X.509

At 01:36 PM 7/18/96 -0400, David P. Kemp wrote:
>Have you had a look at Sun's SKIP distribution (from skip.incog.com)?
>I was surprised at how readable the certificate processing code was - it
>is implemented as macros with the same names as the ASN.1 elements, so
>the code for encoding or decoding certificates looks quite similar to
>the ASN.1 definition of the certificate.

heaven forbid.

Thanks for the pointer.  I'll take a look.

However, the sins of X.509 come in two flavors -- use of ASN.1 and inclusion of the kitchen sink (to please the members of a committee, most likely).  Those sins can't be un-done by a macro package.  It takes discarding of the standard(s) and starting fresh to correct those sins.

>Garage shops (in the US, at least) should be able to use code similar
>to that, without having to reinvent the cert processing wheel.

We have reason to re-invent the cert processing wheel -- just as the X.509 folks have discovered on their own.  SET's cardholder cert is a new invention, even if it parses as X.509.  The attribute cert is a new invention.  v.3's extensions are a new invention.  They're all trying to incrementally get to where we jumped with SPKI by rejecting X.509 and its history and starting with a blank sheet of paper.

 - Carl
At 01:36 PM 7/18/96 -0400, David P. Kemp wrote:
>Have you had a look at Sun's SKIP distribution (from skip.incog.com)?
>I was surprised at how readable the certificate processing code was - it
>is implemented as macros with the same names as the ASN.1 elements, so
>the code for encoding or decoding certificates looks quite similar to
>the ASN.1 definition of the certificate.

heaven forbid.

Thanks for the pointer.  I'll take a look.

However, the sins of X.509 come in two flavors -- use of ASN.1 and inclusion
of the kitchen sink (to please the members of a committee, most likely).
Those sins can't be un-done by a macro package.  It takes discarding of the
standard(s) and starting fresh to correct those sins.

>Garage shops (in the US, at least) should be able to use code similar
>to that, without having to reinvent the cert processing wheel.

We have reason to re-invent the cert processing wheel -- just as the X.509
folks have discovered on their own.  SET's cardholder cert is a new
invention, even if it parses as X.509.  The attribute cert is a new
invention.  v.3's extensions are a new invention.  They're all trying to
incrementally get to where we jumped with SPKI by rejecting X.509 and its
history and starting with a blank sheet of paper.

 - Carl

|Carl M. Ellison          cme@cybercash.com   http://www.clark.net/pub/cme |
|CyberCash, Inc.                              http://www.cybercash.com/    |
|207 Grindall Street           PGP 2.6.2: 61E2DE7FCB9D7984E9C8048BA63221A2 |
|Baltimore MD 21230-4103       T:(410) 727-4288     F:(410)727-4293        |