Re: one possible motivation for X.509

On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, John Lowry wrote:

> Carl,
>
> 	Is this an admission of defeat ?  Have we finally made
> 	X.509 so complex that you can't "clear the hurdle" ?

V3 is just about at the stage where it can  clear one's stomach...
BER and DER should not be a hurdle to anyone programming in a general
purpose language like java, but understanding all the squillion different
extensions to X.509 v3 is a whole different kettle of ball games.

BNF can be much harder to read than ASN.1; it's what you say with it that
causes the big headaches.

Simon
p.s.
    If we're talking about hurdles, can I just wish my old baby-sitter Sally
Gunnel good luck in Atlanta :-)

---
Cause maybe  (maybe)		      | In my mind I'm going to Carolina
you're gonna be the one that saves me | - back in Chapel Hill May 16th.
And after all			      | Email address remains unchanged
You're my firewall -    	      | ........First in Usenet.........