Re: spec for wire format of SPKI cert

At 11:53 AM 8/15/96 -0700, Peter Williams wrote:
>Could someone send me the spec of the SPKI cert wire format,
>and the precise encoding rules for the bytes which ones signs.
>
>Ive asked a leading light in SPKI and so far got nowhere, with a view
>to writing the code which interoperates with the reference
>code (apparently in production in some closed circle of vendors).

Peter,

        sorry to have been so tardy getting back to you.  I've been out of town (and still am).  I'll add a BNF section to spki.txt when I do the next editing pass -- and pass it along to you as soon as it's done.

All the info is in spki.txt, but not in BNF format and certainly not in ASN.1 :)

The signed quantity is a block of binary bytes.  The format is spec'ed by the ASCII equivalent, narratively through the text.

We've been accumulating some small changes to the format, in discussion since 7/5/96 when the current spki.txt was posted, so I wouldn't suggest building your own BNF from that document.

 - Carl
At 11:53 AM 8/15/96 -0700, Peter Williams wrote:
>Could someone send me the spec of the SPKI cert wire format,
>and the precise encoding rules for the bytes which ones signs.
>
>Ive asked a leading light in SPKI and so far got nowhere, with a view
>to writing the code which interoperates with the reference
>code (apparently in production in some closed circle of vendors).

Peter,

        sorry to have been so tardy getting back to you.  I've been out of
town (and still am).  I'll add a BNF section to spki.txt when I do the next
editing pass -- and pass it along to you as soon as it's done.

All the info is in spki.txt, but not in BNF format and certainly not in ASN.1 :)

The signed quantity is a block of binary bytes.  The format is spec'ed by
the ASCII equivalent, narratively through the text.

We've been accumulating some small changes to the format, in discussion
since 7/5/96 when the current spki.txt was posted, so I wouldn't suggest
building your own BNF from that document.

 - Carl

|Carl M. Ellison          cme@cybercash.com   http://www.clark.net/pub/cme |
|CyberCash, Inc.                              http://www.cybercash.com/    |
|207 Grindall Street           PGP 2.6.2: 61E2DE7FCB9D7984E9C8048BA63221A2 |
|Baltimore MD 21230-4103       T:(410) 727-4288     F:(410)727-4293        |