Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: SPKI mailing list and BOF at Los Angeles

At 10:33 2/23/96, peter (p.w.) whittaker wrote:
>Definining two entirely analogous PKIs seems comparable to defining two
>entirely analogous mail transfer protocols, with the only difference in
>the protocols being the format of the headers.  Where would we be if SMTP
>had had "competition" from the start?  Would the IETF even have approved
>such an effort?

If the only effort were to create something identical in function to X.509
but with slightly different format, I'd see only one justification.
There is reason [among those of us who have had to use is] to avoid ASN.1
at all costs -- but that's a minor issue, to me.

The major issue is that X.509 certificates are designed to be identity-
based.  I see a reluctance in the user community about identity-based
certificates and a real need for attribute-based certificates.

We could do that with a modification of X.509 format, but the first step would
be the elimination of the DN from the certificate -- making instead an
arbitrary data packet describing the attribute being associated with the
signed key.  That attribute might be the name of a person, but it could
be seomething far more interesting and important -- like permission to
spend money from a given bank account -- a permission which does not need
to ddivulge any personal information about the user.

I have written much on this subject.  Rather than forward the log of
past writings, let me try to write this up succinctly and forward that
to the list.

 - Carl