Re: encodings: do we need binary at all?

> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
> There is an interesting argument being brought up here -- are binary
> encodings of any sort strictly needed?

Yes, for values that are descriptive (field types in TLVs, etc).  That
allows easy internationalization.

Also, for values that are merely nominal sequences of values, I find
handling bytes instead of strings a lot easier to implement and debug.

But, we still need to support "naming" and "mapping", such as the email
address you give in your example as a "comment".  So, anything we do has
to support both binary and ASCII (and more than US-ASCII).

Meanwhile, put me in the camp that hates ASN.1.  Worse than worthless,
from a strict implementation and debugging perspective.

Bill.Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu