Re: going back to stone axes -Reply

At 09:38 2/27/96, Ed Reed wrote:

>And yes, base-64 encodings in MIME provide binary data transfer, but
>isn't it a shame that in this day and time we're still bit-stuffing our
>transfer
>protocols because they were written for a time when KSR-33 devices
>were the best, most interactive interface device available?

Yup, it's a shame.  It was already a shame back in 1975 when I worked
for John Warnock and witnessed the creation of a thing called "The Design
System" -- an interpretive language which eventually became PostScript.

Frankly, I think it's a good thing John recognized that we weren't going
to go to binary transfers any time soon.

Do you really believe that we'll see binary transfers soon?  Will ASCII
mechanisms go away?

|Carl M. Ellison          cme@cybercash.com   http://www.clark.net/pub/cme |
|CyberCash, Inc., Suite 430                   http://www.cybercash.com/    |
|2100 Reston Parkway           PGP 2.6.2: 61E2DE7FCB9D7984E9C8048BA63221A2 |
|Reston, VA 22091      Tel: (703) 620-4200                                 |