Specification Languages

I think we must all be in agreement that some kind of specification language
should be used to define protocols. Perhaps it would be appropriate to make a
list of candidates? The ones that occur at the moment are:

1. ASN.1+[BDP]ER.
2. A subset of ASN.1+[BDP]ER.
3. ASN.1+some other encoding.
4. a subset of ASN.1+some other encoding.
5. C structs, etc.
6. English.
7. Pictures.
8. A new specification language, designed for the purpose.
9. A new specification language, designed for general purpose Internet use.
10. Some other already defined specification language.

Would anyone care to add to this list? Or give some instances of 10?

Cheers,

Ben.

London, England.