re. ASN.1 integers (was Re: proposed certificate format)

At 04:10 2/28/96, Bill Stewart wrote:
>>For example, there is no simple int32 in ASN.1.  To achieve that, you have
>>to start with an INTEGER and then add a bell/whistle which limits its
>>range -- but you can't just limit its number of bits -- you specify its
>>min and max value, and then have to decide what an internal 0 really means.
>>So, people rarely limit their INTEGERs -- and the resulting code has to
>>stumble over structures which can accomodate 400,000 bit integers, even when
>>the application will ralph on any integer over 12 bits.
>
>If we're not going to limit applications to int16 and uint32,
>I'd like to be able to use arbitrary long numbers in any application
>involving crypto, where "arbitrary" means "at least up to 4096 bits";
>I don't particularly see a need for more than 32K-bit numbers, but who knows.

I wasn't talking about things like RSA moduli.  I was noting that the *only*
INTEGER construct [unless you go the additional step to limit its range]
is indefinite in length.  If I'm building a data structure with a bunch
of integers, they're not all going to be RSA moduli.  All I was asking for
was a basic int32 primitive.  A BYTE_STRING primitive can take care of all
the huge integers, bit strings, etc.

 - Carl

|Carl M. Ellison          cme@cybercash.com   http://www.clark.net/pub/cme |
|CyberCash, Inc., Suite 430                   http://www.cybercash.com/    |
|2100 Reston Parkway           PGP 2.6.2: 61E2DE7FCB9D7984E9C8048BA63221A2 |
|Reston, VA 22091      Tel: (703) 620-4200                                 |