algorithm licences are forever (*not*)

regardless of one's opinion of greek-american gentlemen and/or layers
guarding prime numbers and/or patent office officials and/or reference
giveaway implementations,  it should be pointed out that those of use who in
the past have dealt with allegedly immortal immutable corporate entities
(like Wang, pre/post-Bopal Union Carbide, Pan American Airways, etc.) have
learned that nothing is forever.

I'm just pointing out that none of us (including John Kennedy) can guarantee
who's going to be dealing with what in, say, 10 years.

>Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 17:04:06 -0800
>From: John Kennedy <jk@cylink.com>
>To: spki@c2.org, dbj@cs.cmu.edu, hallam@w3.org
>Sender: owner-spki@c2.org

>>Most of the internet companies I know of have already paid out a large sum
to a
>>certain Greek-American gentleman and I doubt that they will be queuing up
to  make
>>a similar payment to another company.
>>
>>      Phill
>>

>Hmmm, how about the fact that Microsoft, Sun, Cisco, Intel and about a
dozen other
>household names in the Internet business that have taken a Stanford patent
license
>in the last six months?  I'm sorry to blow a hole in your argument, but it is
>important to set the record straight here.
>
>Sun is taking advantage of this opportunity with their release of SKIP
reference
>code.  Cisco is preparing to do the same with ISAKMP/OAKLEY code.  Other
licencees
>are preparing similar reference code giveaways in their area of interest.
>
>Interesting, huh?
>
>-John Kennedy

                  Rodney Thayer           ::         rodney@sabletech.com
                  Sable Technology Corp   ::              +1 617 332 7292
                  246 Walnut St           ::         Fax: +1 617 332 7970
                  Newton MA 02160 USA     ::  http://www.shore.net/~sable
                           "Developers of communications software"