Quick Survey: name certificate syntax

I would like a quick response from list participants.  What is your
preference between the two options described here?  I'm planning to submit
the next draft tonight and would like it to include the more popular form.

For the sake of simplifying the explanation of certificate meaning and
cleaning up the reduction engine a little, I've been pretty well convinced
by Ron Rivest's SPKI programmers to separate name certificates out from
authorization certificates.  The difference is that a name certificate is
always (tag (*)) [and by the stop-at-key rule, (propagate)].

If these are separate, they can have their own syntax.  The two candidates
are:

cert
 (issuer (name <prin> <name>))
 (subject ...)
 (tag (*))
 <validity fields>
)

as in the current draft, and:

(name-cert
 (issuer <prin>)
 (name <name>)
 (subject ...)
 <validity fields>
)

which is closer to the original draft and something a number of people asked
me for in Memphis.

The first form has the advantage that it reflects the form of the
intermediate state during name string reduction.  That is, one expresses a
name certificate internally as

	<issuer,subject,validity>

where issuer and subject are SDSI names (or raw keys).  So, the first form's
issuer is used intact here, while the second form's issuer,name are combined
to make this reduction tuple.

I'm easy on this.  I would like to hear opinions from the group -- hopefully
today.

Thanks,

Carl

|Carl M. Ellison  cme@cybercash.com   http://www.clark.net/pub/cme |
|CyberCash, Inc.                      http://www.cybercash.com/    |
|207 Grindall Street  PGP 08FF BA05 599B 49D2  23C6 6FFD 36BA D342 |
|Baltimore MD 21230-4103  T:(410) 727-4288  F:(410)727-4293        |