Re: The Carl & Bob show

At 2:10 am -0500 on 11/21/97, Bill Frantz wrote:

> I also have several friends named Dave Smith.  Also there is the Bob
> Johnson Society.

While we're all getting anecdotal about identity here, a little (exactly
irrelevant) factoid for your next lecture or presentation... If you take a
listing of the first names of schoolchildren in the Chicago Public Schools
system, you'll find an enormous listing of unique names. Almost all of them
belonging to black children, and, I believe, unique or almost unique names
form a sizeable majority of the total black schoolage population...

Shades of Ursula K. LaGuinn's "The Dispossesed"(?) where everyone had a
unique name and no property?

:-).

And thus endeth your social science lesson for the day...

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/
Ask me about FC98 in Anguilla!: <http://www.fc98.ai/>

Follow-Ups: References: