Re: time resolution (was Re: six-page binary format draft)

Our middle name is "Engineering".  "Engineering" means solving a
problem economically, within a set of constraints.  The trick, of
course, is knowing which constraints are reasonable and which aren't.

It's certainly possible to have machines' clocks agree to within a few
milliseconds.  Is it necessary here?  These are *certificates*, not
challenge/response values.  I will, of course, point out that
certificates are used precisely so that full-time online operation
isn't necessary -- if I can query the authorization center when someone
presents me with credentials, I don't need the credentials to be
signed.

We don't need finer resolution than 1 second.  I suspect we could stick
with 1 minute, if we wanted to save some space.