time and date

I found this useful reference on the web:

http://www.ft.uni-erlangen.de/~mskuhn/iso-time.html

I suggest following ISO 8601:1988 and adding optional,
arbitrary-precision decimal seconds, e.g.

YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss{.s+}

This is standard, widely understood and flexible.

I question the wisdom of limiting the range of the spec
merely in order to prevent people from allowing their
precision to exceed their accuracy.

Regards,

Zooko

"Of course, almost any economic or military competition can be
 won by the side with superior computing resources."
                        -- Vernor Vinge _A_Fire_Upon_the_Deep_

Software engineer for hire.  Have computer, will travel.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~zooko/resume.html