Re: Out on a loop

At 11:24 PM 12/9/97 -0200, Ed Gerck wrote:
>On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Carl Ellison wrote:
>-> To me, there are not apples and speedboats.  Rather, there is
authorization
>-> which is injected by the verifier into a so-called root key and passed
>-> from that root key through certificates, possibly constrained or
restricted,
>-> into the eventual request where it is delivered to the verifier as part
of a
>-> request for some kind of action.  This model of trust computation fits all
>-> known certification examples.  Even though it is foreign to X.509 thinking,
>-> in particular, it applies to X.509.  The authorization in this example
flows
>-> in a loop (circuit) from verifier back to verifier.  To use an electical
>-> example, the verifier has both battery and ammeter.
>->
>
>Carl,
>
>This issue bears on your earlier comment that PGP's trust model is not
>able to pass full authority, while X.509, SDSI and raw SPKI are able to,
>to which I answered negatively, with the partial copy above.  While I
>think that PGP is a wee bit out of context here, your mention of X.509
>makes me feel a teeny-weeny more confortable to comment further on this
>issue -- emphasizing X.509 but with a dash of PGP at the end.

[details snipped]

Ed,

I fear we still have a disconnect.

Your explanation followed the X.509 mindset.  This is something where Bob
Jueneman should probably chime in as well, because I believe this is a
fundamental difference between the SPKI and X.509 worlds.

The things you cited as needing to be verified were the characteristics that
X.509 CAs have talked about and consider important.  It's not all their
fault of course.  These are things cryptographers talk about, augmented by
legal issues first raised by Michael Baum.  That is, you have an accepter of
certificates first worrying about Certification Practice Statements, key
management, key length, crypto box security, personnel security, and such
things.

SPKI made its radical departure from X.509 by saying that we have *two*
issues here -- key security and authorization -- and the authorization was
getting inadequate attention.  We care about both, but of those two
authorization is the more important.

Let me give an example, because I'm pressed for time.

Let us assume I have an SPKI verifier in the CyberCash firewall.  It is
looking to verify that some caller has the authorization to telnet into the
private LAN it protects.  Therefore, that verifier has an ACL entry that
delegates (tag (telnet)) to some principal.  When we look at characteristics
of various certificate issuers in order to choose the one to delegate that
permission to, we look for the business organization that has the authority
to delegate such authorizations.  We find exactly one: CyberCash Operations
Group.  We have then made our decision for the ACL -- and for what has been
called "root key empowerment" without looking at all at their key management
practices.  The decision stands no matter how poor their key management is.
Of course, we care about their key management practices and their human
procedures for identifying employees and their remote access rights, but
those are secondary.  The decision of whom to empower has been made.  If an
alternative key to empower had been VeriSign's with their known superior key
management and carefully crafted CPS, they would still not have been in the
running since they have no authority in the area we care about.

So, to help you break loose from your X.509 mindset, let me suggest a
thought experiment.  X.509 has had us all try to pretend that what we care
about is CPS and key protection and such things as the most important thing
and that second comes some practice of establishing identity in a way courts
would accept and left for future discussion is the issue of passing
authorization.  Instead, how about you spend a month or two imagining the
SPKI world in which the most important thing (and, if push comes to shove,
the only important thing) is authority to speak on matters contained in the
authorization field while *no* CPS is ever written or read, key management
is an individual affair (as with PGP today) and any names are strictly for
the issuer's own convenience.

 - Carl

|Carl M. Ellison  cme@cybercash.com   http://www.clark.net/pub/cme |
|CyberCash, Inc.                      http://www.cybercash.com/    |
|207 Grindall Street  PGP 08FF BA05 599B 49D2  23C6 6FFD 36BA D342 |
|Baltimore MD 21230-4103  T:(410) 727-4288  F:(410)727-4293        |