single <auth> per cert (was Re: "auth" --> "tag" ?? )

 A million monkeys operating under the pseudonym
 "Ron Rivest <rivest@theory.lcs.mit.edu>" typed:

> I suggest that we change the object type "auth" to "tag".  Here are the
> reasons:
>
> (1) "tag" is an english word. "auth" is not.
>
> (2) Both "auth" and "tag" are nouns.  I think this is better than a verb,
<snip>

> (3) "tag" is very neutral as to semantics, and thus more suitable for the
<snip>

> (4) [especially for Carl] "tag" is shorter than "auth" !

Eh..  Fine.  I vote "Yea".  Either Ron Rivest is full of great
ideas, or else he's just a convincing salesman, cause every
time I read one of his articles I end up thinking "Of course!
What a good idea!".

On to a more technical issue, I'm still trying to understand
the issues about having single or multiple <auth> (cum <tag>)
fields in a cert.  But even without understanding the issues,
can I suggest that having only one is simpler, and is easier to
use in simple applications?  Perhaps more complex applications
can (a) add a layer of abstraction on top of SPKI to handle
certs in bundles and/or (b) wait for SPKI 1.1.

Thus, while admitting my complete ignorance of the subject,
I move that we have a single tag in each cert, and then we can
figure out the best way to make multiple-tag systems while
developers are already using our single-tag certs.

Regards,

Bryce

I am not a cypherpunk.  NOT speaking for DigiCash or any other
person or organization.  No PGP sig follows.